Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Backend configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I understand this quetion isnt directly about XBMC, but was hopeful a fair few of you would have some answers. I'm currently looking at redoing my whole HTPC setup. My aim is to have the following;

Server in the office
XBMC clients around the house (acer revo's attached to the back of tvs running XBMC live)

The server i have is a low end HP Prolient G5, the specs are;
Xeon 3065 (2.33GHz)
8GB Ram

I'm looking to buy a couple of tuners (DVB-S2 single and a DVB-T dual). I'll be installing either debian or ubuntu server with vmware server (this will be used to run my windows domain). To control the tuners i was thinking tvheadend.

What are peoples thoughts on the spec of the server, would they handle the tuners with a possible 3 live feeds?

Network wise i'll try wireless n equipment, that failing it will be down the cabling route. What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks,
Nathan
nabberuk Wrote:The server i have is a low end HP Prolient G5, the specs are;
Xeon 3065 (2.33GHz)
8GB Ram

I'm looking to buy a couple of tuners (DVB-S2 single and a DVB-T dual).
Network wise i'll try wireless n equipment, that failing it will be down the cabling route. What are peoples thoughts?

I think that the server itself is more than enough, the problematic part is the network. 802.11g will not be enough almost sure, 802.11n probably won't be enough either but not because of raw speed (if you get 150MBps it will be enough even for HD) but because latency and the occasional interference. But if you can try and switch to wired connections if wireless does not give a smooth experience I'd give it a try.
Save your self from the aggravation later and run the wiring now. It might be a pain to get everything wired now but it will be well worth it in the end.