Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Metadata management - issues. Any suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

This is going to be a longer post, but I am oh so close to getting xbmc setup beautifully and I just have a couple niggling things I am trying to work out.

I have looked high and low and cannot seem to find the info I am looking for, so any help is appreciated.

My movies are either 1:1 bluray rips (to mkv) with HD audio encoded to FLAC. Or 1:1 dvd rips (to mkv).

I have come from Media Browser. My file structure looks like this:

\\Movies\Astro Boy (2009)\Astro.Boy.mkv
\\Movies\Astro Boy (2009)\Trailers\somename-trailer.mov

1. Trailers: is there any way to get xbmc to play my downloaded trailer when viewing a movie's information without renaming it and without moving it out of the trailers folder? I would like to not break Media Browser functionality and moving them out of the trailers folder will do just that.

I can stream the apple trailers (with the apple plugin) no problem. The hd-net trailers that the xbmc scrapper uses don't stream that well - always buffering. And the Ember trailers (at least with my 2 test movies) don't work at all.

Ideally I just get my downloaded trailers working. Any suggestions on how/if it can be done with my current structure and naming convention?

I have tried the internal scraper, and I have tried using Ember.

2. My aspect ratio always comes across as 1.78:1. I use MetaBrowser for my Media Browser management and it fetches the correct aspect ratio from imdb.com

The internal scraper using tmdb, does not return aspect ratio (at least it doesn't in MetaBrowser). And when I look at the Ember setting for imdb, it doesn't seem to pull the aspect ratio either (even though it is available from imdb).

So how are you getting the correct aspect ratios?

3. With the internal scrapper, my audio icons come across correctly as flac plus 5.1 or 7.1. However with Ember, only the 5.1 or 7.1 is displayed. Any thoughts on why Ember doesn't diplay the Flac icon?

4. Ember seems to nuke my folder.jpg (cover image for media browser). Not sure why.

The internal scraper seems to work quite well and I may just go with that as I've spent many hours with the metadata for media browser and, honestly, I don't feel like doing it all again for xbmc. Especially since xbmc doesn't do rotating backdrops (fanart).

I just really wish I could get the aspect ratio and downloaded trailers working.

any suggestions are mucho appreciated.
Regarding aspect ratio - Ember - just revived - but hasn't had any new releases, except for the open source code, i hear.

Check out Media Companion or XWMM - XWMM might be good for your case since it works directly with the XBMC tv database/ library. Or XBNE (like XWMM).

Trailers - keep the main trailers folder. In the meantime, try using the trial version of Media Center Master to blast down automatically all of your trailers to the individual movie folders. Save trailers to the same folder as your movie, and name them <movie>-trailer.<ext>. Or actually just have them in the folder named movie-trailer.<ext>.

Then, use CouchPotato going forward as you can set it to download trailers along with the movies.

I think Transparency does do rotating fanart?
Thanks for all the info. I think I will just use the internal scraper and then XWMM or XBNE to tweak here and there.

If I select the 480p trailer when using the internal scraper, they seem to stream fine and actually look pretty good. Especially if I view in the trailer window available in the new aeon skin.

Think I am just going to ignore the aspect ratio. Not a big deal, really.
Hey foghat,

You can still use meta<browser/>, just install the XBMC plugin for it and enable it in Settings->Movies->Savers and Settings->TV->Savers and you can create/manage metadata for both XBMC and MediaBrowser at the same time.

To convert existing MediaBrowser metadata to XBMC format, just do a Process All with ONLY the XBMC saver enabled in Settings->Movies->Savers and Settings->TV->Savers and put a check next to "Force Save Images" when processing the generated list.

From that point on, any metadata that you fetch, including trailers, will be saved in both formats for XBMC and MediaBrowser as long as both savers are enabled.

Take Care
Hi Fatal,

Great to see you here. I will give that a try. I thought I had tried the xbmc saver and was having issues. I will give it another go. One nice thing Ember does is pull movie trailer urls that xbmc uses to play trailers. This is great for older movies where trailers are harder to find.

Can it create/manage xbmc sets?
Hey,

If you were having issues just post it in the issue tracker and I can help you sort it out and or fix it if something isn't working right.

Yes, it does support sets, just put the same value for "Set" (founder under Sort Title) for your movies that you want in a set and it will create the set tag required for XBMC for those movies. It will also appear as a set in metabrowser (found a bug while testing this for you which doesn't update the list correctly when setting a set, which will be fixed in the next release, but the set tag is added correctly to the metadata).

As far as the links to trailers, where is it getting links to older trailers from? YouTube?

Take Care