Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] XBMC/Ubuntu 10.4/Revo R3610 - stuttering @1920x1080, fine @1366x768
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had XBMC working absolutely fine on an Acer Revo R3610 connected to my old 720p TV for some time now. It's been running on Ubuntu 10.4, connected over HDMI, with the apt available restricted nvidia driver installed and Gnome visual effects turned off but no other real tweaking done and no need for a custom rolled xorg.conf or anything like that. I've got libvdpau installed and as far as I can tell playback (from an NFS share on my fileserver connected over 100mbit) has been using GPU acceleration. As the TV was 720p the res was 1366×768 (native resolution of the panel). Everything was always smooth as you like, even when playing 1080p encoded movies (of which I admittedly only have one). Most of the content I play was/is rips I made myself of my DVDs (mkvs done using Handbrake), so only SD content.

I've just got myself a new 1080p TV. First time I booted up the Revo (connected over HDMI again) I was fully expecting to have to faff around with things to get it to play nice, but Ubuntu/Gnome detected the new max resolution of 1920x1080, XBMC adjusted to match, and everything seemed good. However i'm now getting slight odd jerkyness in all my video content, even the simple SD stuff. It's not huge pauses, or tearing or anything like that. It seems like the picture freeze-frames for maybe 1/4 sec or less. Long enough to notice when I wasn't before, but short enough that the audio doesn't seem to go out of sync nor do I notice a 'blip' in the audio even when it happens in the middle of a sentence. it doesn't seem to necessarily match up with complex picture changes occurring on screen or anything like that.

I've had a terminal on my laptop sshed into the Revo and running top when playing a video, and the CPU is sitting happily at about 10% usage and i'm not seeing the RAM being maxed or anything. If it's not the CPU struggling due to upscaling or something similar i'm at a bit of a loss as to what the resolution change could have done to cause this problem. The videos in question still play fine in VLC on my desktop mounting the file server shares using samba.

Does anyone have any ideas or could suggest what logs I should grab and link to to try and help people diagnose my issue? I found a lot of threads from when 10.4 first came out saying it was causing issues and people should stick with 9.X, but they all seemed to be quite old so I assumed the 10.4 XBMC issues had been ironed out by now.
Did you go into the bios and give the video card more ram? I forgot exactly what the option is but you can increase it to 512 mb in the bios.

Also, try using the XBMC Live version of Dharma and see if it happens when you run it off the live CD. I suggest running it off a USB stick so you don't have to find an external CD rom drive.

I have two 3610s and I have played back 1080p content without any of the issues you described so it should be working fine. I do have mine hardwired and am using a network share to get to the data but it still works fine.
Hi,
Make sure you turn on "sync playback to display" in video settings. If you are just using your tv for sound, use method "resample audio" otherwise use "dupe drop"

cheers