Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Separate libraries/profiles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just set up my library and it looks great. Smile
However, there are movies in there that I don't want the kids seeing.
What is the best way of achieving this? It would be awesome to be able to just put in a password and the library fully populates with pre-selected files - but I don't think that's gonna happen.. Sad
What's the best way of separating the media with some form of access control? Is that what profiles do? I don't really want to need to put a password in to even use xbmc in the first place.
Thanks. Smile
Two options:

1. Basically create a new profile for the kids and only add the folders they should have. This will mean you'll want the login screen, so gives password at start.

2. Lock the particular folder you don't want the kids having access to via the context menu - you may have to set the master lock (settings) to do this.

Number 2 is probably what you want - you can then just switch on master mode (press S) to get the full listing.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thanks. So would I need to move the other films to a different folder? How would it work in practice - library-wise? Would everybody see the same library when switched on - without inputting a password? And then, after activating 'master mode', the others will appear in the library? How would I add things to the library seen by the master mode?
The movies you don't want your kids to see need to be added as a separate source so a different folder or multiple folders as long as you add them as the same source

When switched on XBMC will not be in master mode so your movies wont be visible in library, in master mode all will be visible, anything new that's added to the locked source will be scanned into your library in either mode but will only become visible in your library in master mode
Thanks - that sounds just what I'm looking for.
The movies are in the library now so I assume I need to remove them from that and move them all into a new folder/share on the NAS and somehow remove them from the library.
Then what do I do then to make the other folder only visible in Master Mode? Add it to the library when in Master Mode?
If you move the actual media to a different folder and then run "clean library" it will remove those titles for you from your library

All you need to do then is add the new source scan them into library and then lock the source actually it doesn't really matter if you lock the source first then scan them

Nothing else is done differently in xbmc after that other than having to enter master mode to see your movies
I can't get the Master Lock to behave as described. Sad
I moved the folder from the previous location to another and did a 'Clean Library'. It did remove it from the library.
I have then added a source and added the new folder containing the media I want to be 'hidden' - and scanned it to the library.
I have then activated Master Mode in the system menu.
When I now go to the menu now in 'File Mode'and right-click the new source, I get a 'Set Lock' option - which I select and give a password. I have locked the source (I have tried this straight away - and by going to the Purple 'Enter Master Mode' button and locking it there). However, when I go to the library everything is still listed. It is only when in the File Mode that if I now try to go into the source that it asks me for a password. I hope I've made myself clear - and there is an obvious thing I'm doing wrong..
The only thing that seems to change is that if I am in the Master Mode (Purple padlock) it doesn't ask me for a password to access the folder location. In either mode, the library looks and behaves the same..
It does sound like you did it correctly the only thing you did differently to me was set the lock in master mode I did this in normal mode however I just did it your way and it still worked so I'm slightly puzzled why its not working

Only thing I would suggest and I'm not saying it will solve it is to rebuild your whole library as I have had problems in the past when I removed something using clean library and then added it again on a similar path I'm just thinking it might be db related as it is locking in file mode but not library mode so not a bad idea to at least rule it out

You could just remove your "MyVideos34.db" and test it if still doesn't work you can just put it back and your have your library back, if you do rebuild your library definitely get rid of the old one by deleting or removing the "MyVideos34.db" that way we know its totally gone
OK - thanks for that.
One thing though - I'm not doing this at home where my video library is - I'm doing it on a laptop and all that I have on that is music. So what I described above was done using music files in the Music section. I won't get a chance to test it against Videos until later on.
Would you mind repeating what you have done and seeing if both media types behave the same way. I would have expected a lock symbol or similar to appear in file mode against the locked folder?
Many thanks and much appreciated. Smile
I can confirm this doesn't work for music so that's the problem right there so you should be fine with movies Smile
Brilliant. Big Grin
Is that a known issue (or by design?) - or you did try and noticed it didn't work as you would expect?
Again, much appreciated. Smile
Oh, I preferred Trumpton.
I didn't know myself it behaved differently I just tested it after reading your post