Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@jitaroo
Like eskro posted directly above you, create a new thread for your build if you really want help/opinions on it. Otherwise it will just get lost in here and you'll get frustrated.
@Choque: +1, thanks

@jitaroo: just create a new thread for your build, we'll help you there, thx
ok sorry, i'll make one there
eskro Wrote:[Micro-ATX] i3-2100 2x3.1Ghz + GT430 ($363)

Just a quick question - will that work for games too, or should I change i3 for at least i5 and bigger case (temperature)? It looks very nice, and it would fit under my TV perfectly, so I'd rather leave the case as it is.
mk78, you can use that build for gaming, however, the GT430 wont let you run
Heavy Duty Games at Super High Settings....

If you plan on Gaming like this, you can simply buy a stronger GPU card....
example, [gpu] EVGA GTX460 1GB DDR3 256-bit ($115 + $0)

i3 CPU is fine for gaming...
eskro Wrote:i3 CPU is fine for gaming...

What do people use i5s and i7s for then? I was always under the impression that an i7 was needed for decent gaming?
I just saw that you added the Mini-ITX solution with a Pentium 2x3.0.

Now once again the question comes up Mini ITX or Micro ATX:
Do you have any performance comparisons relating to these two systems:
[Micro-ATX] Pentium 2x3.0Ghz + GT210 ($259)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=99557

[Mini-ITX] Pentium 2x3.0Ghz + m9300 ($232)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post793169

Because I tend to go with the Mini ITX as it is smaller, needs less energy and is cheaper at the same time.
alkit Wrote:What do people use i5s and i7s for then? I was always under the impression that an i7 was needed for decent gaming?
Actually the graphics card is far more important than the processor (for gaming that is)
Harry deluxe, those 2 builds will have similar performance!
the GT210 isnt playing Major Role in regarding 'adding' performance to the microATX build...
Can anyone tell me how hard it is to fix Audio through HDMI with an GT430 (Under linux)?
cider123 Wrote:Can anyone tell me how hard it is to fix Audio through HDMI with an GT430 (Under linux)?

i think its all in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=641...stcount=31

however, note that i dont use Linux...

cant help you more than that :/
eskro Wrote:i think its all in this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=641...stcount=31

however, note that i dont use Linux...

cant help you more than that :/

Yeah im considering to simply put W7 on the freaking thing. Will miss the quick and painless startups with Linux. Sad

None the less, thanks for the advice.
My W7 machine boots from powered-off to the XBMC home menu in 22 seconds, last I clocked it. I could probably shave a few seconds off by tweaking the BIOS, if I wanted to. No need to sacrifice too much speed, just be diligent about paring everything down to the essentials.
Valdysses Wrote:My W7 machine boots from powered-off to the XBMC home menu in 22 seconds, last I clocked it. I could probably shave a few seconds off by tweaking the BIOS, if I wanted to. No need to sacrifice too much speed, just be diligent about paring everything down to the essentials.

Sounds nice. I will give W7 a try tonight. Smile
First of all, I would like to say thank you to Eskro for sharing info on how to build htpc. I'm searching for a mini-htpc to replace my troublesome Xtreamer Sidewinder. I used to own Boxee Box and other HD media players too. They claimed to playback dts-hd and truehd audio. It does, but it has a lot of issues. I'm into dts-hd and truehd AQ than PQ. I saw the spec of the barebone Zotac ZBOX-AD02-U, and it supported dts-hd and truehd. It seem to fit my bill too. I'll use it mainly for playback bd iso, m2ts and mkv files with dts-hd/truehd, and occasionally streaming HD Netflix, Vudu, etc. I'm planning to include these options for roughly $418 and another $124 (I'm planning to upgrade my two Vista PC's anyway):

1. Zotac ZBOX AMD E-350
2. Seagate Momentus
3. Crucial CT2KIT51264BC1067
4. Logitech PlayStation 3 Cordless MediaBoard Pro (it's my PS3 bluetooth keyboard).
5. IOGEAR USB 2.1 Bluetooth Micro Adapter GBU421
6. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)
7. XBMC
8. Boxee

I'm I on the right track to accomplish my mission for trouble free dts-hd/truehd playback? I do like your htpc idea for [Mini-ITX] Zacate 2x1.6Ghz + HD6310 ($213). If I decide to go your route, it probably turn out to be about the same cost. Do you think Asrock is better than Zotac for my needs?

Here are some of my favorite bd movies with dts-ht/truehd sounds: Kun Fu Panda, How to Train a Dragon, Gnomeo and Juliet, Transporter 3, Avatar, The Forbidden Kingdom, etc are great movies to enjoy HD audio surround sound system, and the latest Gnomeo and Juliet is on the top of this list because it is 7.1 HD.