Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Eskro and folks,

Thanks for a great thread. I recently built a machine that I really like (with small caveats) and now I have a question or two.

Build:
ASRock H67M-ITX
Intel G620
G.Skill 4GB CL7 RAM
Antex ISK300-150 (150W PSU) case
OCZ AgilityIII 60GB SSD (only $85 w/ rebate until 8/31!)

So, I'm proving the well known fact that Intel HD graphics drivers suck and the Sandybridge can't keep up with all things. It does many things just fine, and I wanted to see how far I could get without spending the $$ on a standalone card.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the 150W PSU carry a GT210? How about a 430? It's hard to tell what the TDP is on those cards.
2. I love this little Antex case, even if it costs a few $ more. It is hard for me to tell if http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121397 will fit in the case. Just curious if there are any other users of that case/card combo.

Thanks!
^^ The 150w PSU will be fine for those cards, even a GT240 should work with a max power draw of 69w.

BTW, I have that same motherboard, I'm using an MI-008 case as my main PC (still building/testing).
ruant Wrote:What the noise level on the fan on ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile?

If you're concerned about noise, how about going with a passive (low profile) card? I have one from Sparkle.
you could always have a look at an online PSU calculator,,,,
will give u a rough idea of the W needed,,,,,

and in a small case like that ANTEC ISK,
i wouldnt go FanLess on the GPU,,,
its going to be a heat generator,,,
eskro Wrote:and in a small case like that ANTEC ISK,
i wouldnt go FanLess on the GPU,,,
its going to be a heat generator,,,

Notice that the Asus ENGT430 is not fanless. It is designed (and reported) to be low noise. Thanks for the advice, that is something I can bear in mind while looking around.

I'm wondering about the actual physical fit. The ISK doesn't not have too much room from the LP card slot to the edge of the case. The HS on that card sticks out beyond standard card height.
true but i still think the Asus ENGT430 will fit
pjneder Wrote:Eskro and folks,

Thanks for a great thread. I recently built a machine that I really like (with small caveats) and now I have a question or two.

Build:
ASRock H67M-ITX
Intel G620
G.Skill 4GB CL7 RAM
Antex ISK300-150 (150W PSU) case
OCZ AgilityIII 60GB SSD (only $85 w/ rebate until 8/31!)

So, I'm proving the well known fact that Intel HD graphics drivers suck and the Sandybridge can't keep up with all things. It does many things just fine, and I wanted to see how far I could get without spending the $$ on a standalone card.

Here are my questions:
1. Will the 150W PSU carry a GT210? How about a 430? It's hard to tell what the TDP is on those cards.
2. I love this little Antex case, even if it costs a few $ more. It is hard for me to tell if http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121397 will fit in the case. Just curious if there are any other users of that case/card combo.

Thanks!
or this one- PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 or this lower power comsumption video card- SAPPHIRE 100323L Radeon HD 6570 1GB . to be sure, you can use this calculator to calculate the overall power consumption- eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
I finished setting up my very first HTPC! Except the PSU, I got everything as suggested by eskro's Athlon-250 build.

I didn't run into any bigger problems until I saw that the Geforce 210 isn't low profile like it should be for the case. So I took one of the bracket that comes with the case and cut in holes to fit the DVI and HDMI connectors. I then removed the original bracket from the video card and screwed on the new one (pictures follow!).
Couldn't find anywhere to buy fitting low profile brackets over here (Germany) so this solution is pretty much perfect for me. No more time wasted and you can't look behind the HTPC anyway ;-)

Everything else worked very smoothly, except the normal "no common CD-ROM drive found" or "no HDMI audio output" errors. I got around these too and replaced the library (the *.db files) with the ones from my Windows XP computer - together with the thumbnail cache. So I got that library in there, too Big Grin

Now there's not much left to take of, except these things: I get "file not found, would you like to remove?"-errors sometimes. Posted more about it here maybe someone can help.

And then there's the audio and video settings in XBMC itself. Now that I have this advanced (in comparison to my old notebook) playback device, I'd like to set everything up correctly. The HDMI cable is connected directly to my Sony Bravia. Can you guys suggest me some common video / audio settings for a setup like this?

As I said above: Pictures will follow very soon!
soopersonic Wrote:Pictures will follow very soon!

when soon? joke Tongue
As soon as I got that annyoing "file not found" error under control :-)
if your under Linux OS, i cant really help Sad
Ok, I think I solved the "file not found" problem, so it's time for some photos. Sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a real camera...

Image 1 shows how I made the videocard suffer. As I said: I took one of the brackets that covers the expansion slots on the case and cut holes in it to fit the DVI and HDMI outputs. I removed the VGA output.
Image 2 is the complete setup just before booting it first. You can see I took some time for cable management, which is quite easy with that case if you don't install a 5.25" drive.
Image 3 shows my new HTPC doing it's work :-) The USB-stick-like looking thing in the front USB port is the receiver for a wireless keyboard I had lying around. Some day that's going to be replaced by a IR remote, of course.

Now pretty much the only thing left for now is finetuning my TV and XBMC's audio and video settings. I'm really unsure about those sync- and refresh-rate related settings. Also: Would it be best to set 2.0 speakers in XBMC or more, even though it's only connected to a TV without external speakers?
soopersonic Wrote:Ok, I think I solved the "file not found" problem, so it's time for some photos. Sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a real camera...

Image 1 shows how I made the videocard suffer. As I said: I took one of the brackets that covers the expansion slots on the case and cut holes in it to fit the DVI and HDMI outputs. I removed the VGA output.
Image 2 is the complete setup just before booting it first. You can see I took some time for cable management, which is quite easy with that case if you don't install a 5.25" drive.
Image 3 shows my new HTPC doing it's work :-) The USB-stick-like looking thing in the front USB port is the receiver for a wireless keyboard I had lying around. Some day that's going to be replaced by a IR remote, of course.

Now pretty much the only thing left for now is finetuning my TV and XBMC's audio and video settings. I'm really unsure about those sync- and refresh-rate related settings. Also: Would it be best to set 2.0 speakers in XBMC or more, even though it's only connected to a TV without external speakers?

if you haven't update the latest nvidia, you can update it from here- NVIDIA Driver Downloads. you need to adjust the hdtv resolution in the nvidia control center fill in the entire hdtv screen, and set it to enforce smooth video playback. do these in xbmc: system>settings>video>playback (select allow hardware acceleration (dxva2), adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display) and system>settings>system>video output (select full screen for display model and select same resolution as adjusted in catalyst). for audio in xbmc, do these: system>settings>system>audio output (select proper audio output to match your connection).
Thanks for the answer! Will definately take a close look at your suggestions!

My setup doesn't seem to support DVXA, though. I can select some other method of accerlation, I think it's VDPAU or VAAPI. I'll look it up as soon as I can.
yes, for linux its VDPAU or VAAPI