Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
soopersonic Wrote:Thanks for the answer! Will definately take a close look at your suggestions!

My setup doesn't seem to support DVXA, though. I can select some other method of accerlation, I think it's VDPAU or VAAPI. I'll look it up as soon as I can.
Please post system specs/software/OS to eliminate confusion here.
System specs are those of this build.
Software / OS is stable 10.1 Dharma Live version.
soopersonic Wrote:System specs are those of this build.
Software / OS is stable 10.1 Dharma Live version.
DXVA is Windows only. VDPAU is what you're interested in. Normally it's enabled by default.
Alright, thanks.

What about the audio settings? What's best concerning my direct connection to the TV? 2.0 channels? AC3 and DTS?
soopersonic Wrote:Alright, thanks.

What about the audio settings? What's best concerning my direct connection to the TV? 2.0 channels? AC3 and DTS?
HDMI cable? All of this should be answered in the Wiki/Documentation/How-To articles.
soopersonic Wrote:Thanks for the answer! Will definately take a close look at your suggestions!

My setup doesn't seem to support DVXA, though. I can select some other method of accerlation, I think it's VDPAU or VAAPI. I'll look it up as soon as I can.
sorry, i didn't know you're using linux. good luck!
Superorb Wrote:HDMI cable? All of this should be answered in the Wiki/Documentation/How-To articles.

Yeah, it's connected using HDMI.
I've found a lot of useful information in the documentation, but I couldn't find too much about this specific part. Could you post a link?
soopersonic Wrote:Yeah, it's connected using HDMI.
I've found a lot of useful information in the documentation, but I couldn't find too much about this specific part. Could you post a link?
Probably best to start a new post describing the problem, that way you'll get people that have solved your problem previously. I'm using HDMI, but I'm still passing sound via the headphones jack since I bought my receiver when I was in 7th grade (middle school). I've been out of university for almost 7 years now, so it's an old receiver.
Hi all,

The house renovation has encountered some delays which means more time for me to look around and do more research ^_^

I was focused on building an AM3 based HTPC. The reason for it is because I am planning to use my UnRaid box MoBo for the HTPC and replace it with a MoBo that has 6sata ports.

Now, I'm currently looking (and comparing it against my AM3 build/s) at Intel build/s. I'm planning to go for the G620 but noticed the G620T (for additional $5). The only difference that I can see so far is that the G620 use 65W while the G620T only use 35W. Are there any other difference that I should be looking into? Pros and Cons?

Thanks
well, the G620T is a down-clocked version of the G620 so to speak,,,
hence why is consumes less Power,,,
However, if your not using a 60W PSU,
i dont see why you would 'not' want a more powerful CPU...
personally, i'd go with the G620,,,

And, altho the Athlon X2-250 CPU is listed in one of my suggested builds,
the whole build ends up being only $18 less when u go for the Athlon X2-250,,,

But benchmarks clearely demonstrates how Powerful the G620 is
compared to the Athlon X2-250.....

for me, no question here, which between the 2?
i'd pay $18 more for a G620...

Also note that the G620 is $35 away from an AMD Quad core Tongue
But unless you'll do heavy video encoding tasks 24/7,
the Quad Core is overKiLL Smile

hope this helps
Thanks eskro...WhiteLighter has been enlightened Smile

I was originally planning for an AMD quad core since we'll also be using the HTPC for video conference (skype) and web streaming (and maybe some games, but that would fall under video cards options). Would I benefit using x4 or should I fall back to x2? Athlon or Phenom?

On a different note, any suggestions on what I can use to turn the HTPC power on via remote?
^^ a quad core is overkill in almost all instances except for those where you'd be doing lots of transcoding (and even then the i3 CPU has hardware acceleration for video transcoding).

You can sleep the HTPC and then wake from remote. Sleeping only uses 1watt or so.
the G620 will handle all your SKYPE and 1080P NetFlix/Youtbe/Hulu content....

but if your a heavy gamer that plays hardcore heavy games,
thats a whole different story,,,

then, i'd say i3-2100 + Radeon HD6570/6670
Superorb Wrote:Probably best to start a new post describing the problem, that way you'll get people that have solved your problem previously. I'm using HDMI, but I'm still passing sound via the headphones jack since I bought my receiver when I was in 7th grade (middle school). I've been out of university for almost 7 years now, so it's an old receiver.

I thought maybe there are just certain "typical" best practice settings for my setup? Which I could try first and see if I get any tearing / problems with them? If so, please share them with me. Otherwise I'll just try and try again :-)
soopersonic Wrote:I thought maybe there are just certain "typical" best practice settings for my setup? Which I could try first and see if I get any tearing / problems with them? If so, please share them with me. Otherwise I'll just try and try again :-)
In the past you'd need to enable VDPAU, but now all the recent versions already have it enabled. You're not using an ION setup, so no need to reallocate 512MB RAM to the video GPU. So, probably best to start another thread Wink