Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thanks bluray ive put the Asus GT 430 on the list but as a though i have somewhere an Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 this is quite a big card but would it be any good?
bricktop Wrote:thanks bluray ive put the Asus GT 430 on the list but as a though i have somewhere an Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 this is quite a big card but would it be any good?
that is depending on your htpc case and mobo. it's depending on what you want to playback on your htpc too.
eskro Wrote:Which 3rd party Low-Profile CPU Cooler do I recommend?
[CPU Cooler] Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm ($35 + $3)

Any cheaper recommendations that are good for the "AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX"? That one shows out of stock on Newegg and I'm curious if there's a cheaper low-profile option.
no theres not
So I have now ordered my bits and pieces.

I went for the ASRock E350M1 (£110), 4gb single stick of Corsair ram (£18), a Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP bluray combo drive (Lets call it £50), and I've got a spare 1tb 3.5 hdd lying around I will use. This is all going in a Silverstone Lascala LC05 in silver that I got off of ebay for £47 with a 60w psu.

Total is £225, plus I got a £12 HP remote so we are looking at £237. But I will be hopefully selling the atv2 for £80 so looking at £157 for the upgrade.

Smile
Silverstone Lascala LC05 = one of my favorite case!!

show us some pics Tongue
eskro Wrote:Silverstone Lascala LC05 = one of my favorite case!!

show us some pics Tongue

All the pieces should arrive sometime this week (the mobo and ram are already here), so I may start a thread on the build. Should be pretty quick though - software might take a bit longer! Oo

I've bought some of these risers for the optical drive - don't suppose anyone knows if the holes on the drive are standard size?

And I trust I won't have any problems with this remote? (My Marantz RC3200 touchscreen is probably a bit of a relic by now).
no issue with that remote that i know of,,,
at least under windows
eskro Wrote:no issue with that remote that i know of,,,
at least under windows

Yea I will be running windows 7 - ive got a netbook with a WD 1tb hard drive connected via ethernet too running as an external server.

I also have a Kinect so am hoping to put it on a USB switcher I have and use it with Kinemote from time to time.
If a GT430 was added to a Zacate-E350 for 3D capability would the internal graphics card need deactivating, if so how is this done?
T800 Wrote:If a GT430 was added to a Zacate-E350 for 3D capability would the internal graphics card need deactivating, if so how is this done?
here is how i did it-

as far as I know the presence of the new gpu in the pcie slot will override the igpu anyway. if it is not, you can do the following-

1. turn pc off
2. stick the new gpu in
3. boot into bios and if you have the option, disable onboard or select pcie as primary graphics adaptor,
4. boot into windows and it will detect the hardware
5. just follow the screen from there, and you might need to put driver disk into the drive if windows 'cant' find the driver online (doubtful)
Quick (noob) question about remotes and IR receiver. Please correct me if I'm wrong. IR needs to have a line of sight for it to work? what if your hardware is behind a wall or in the closet? will IR still work?
WhiteLighter Wrote:Quick (noob) question about remotes and IR receiver. Please correct me if I'm wrong. IR needs to have a line of sight for it to work? what if your hardware is behind a wall or in the closet? will IR still work?
use usb cable to extend it to the front. you can get usb extension cable from here- usb extension cable
WhiteLighter Wrote:Quick (noob) question about remotes and IR receiver. Please correct me if I'm wrong. IR needs to have a line of sight for it to work? what if your hardware is behind a wall or in the closet? will IR still work?

nope
Hi,

can i use Linux XMBC on mini-ITX Zacate build with a nvidia GT430 graphics card as you mentioned its not recommended?

also you keep mentioning the asus GT430 are not all the GT430 the same as i have the passive cooled Zotac GT430?

a5ian300zx