Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What would be the best low profile card on the ADM/ATI line to get ?

I currently have a intel g620 + H67 micro itx board using the HD2000 but need more vga power for 3d...
s0uls Wrote:What would be the best low profile card on the ADM/ATI line to get ?

I currently have a intel g620 + H67 micro itx board using the HD2000 but need more vga power for 3d...
If you plan on using the Linux versions then get an nVidia card, ATI doesn't play nice with Linux.
Superorb Wrote:If you plan on using the Linux versions then get an nVidia card, ATI doesn't play nice with Linux.

completely forgot to comment about os, I´m using windows 7 64b
s0uls Wrote:What would be the best low profile card on the ADM/ATI line to get ?

if you need it for just 3d playback, one of these should work- MSI N430GT-MD1GD3-OC/LP GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit or SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3.
recommended cards are all listed in my guide guys,,,
Fist of all thanks to Eskro for the great guides he has put together.

I have spent a few days researching a HTPC that I want to put together. I will be using it for BluRay playback and 1080p streaming using XBMC.

Decided on most components, but I'm struggling with the motherboard. Not sure what features I need, and most of the suggested ones are not available from the UK outlets.

Going to be using either an AMD Athlon X2 270 or X3, so an AM3 Chipset. Some advice on the motherboard to go for would be great!
ashy7 Wrote:Fist of all thanks to Eskro for the great guides he has put together.

I have spent a few days researching a HTPC that I want to put together. I will be using it for BluRay playback and 1080p streaming using XBMC.

Decided on most components, but I'm struggling with the motherboard. Not sure what features I need, and most of the suggested ones are not available from the UK outlets.

Going to be using either an AMD Athlon X2 270 or X3, so an AM3 Chipset. Some advice on the motherboard to go for would be great!
BD playback as in from a BD disk inserted into the HTPC? If so, I don't think any version of Linux will work for this. Actually, I don't think any XBMC version will work, so you'll have to use windows and another player.
Superorb Wrote:BD playback as in from a BD disk inserted into the HTPC? If so, I don't think any version of Linux will work for this. Actually, I don't think any XBMC version will work, so you'll have to use windows and another player.
xbmc pre-eden in my signature can playback bd index.bdmv directly on bd-rom!
bluray Wrote:xbmc pre-eden in my signature can playback bd index.bdmv directly on bd-rom!
Awesome, I didn't know they'd implemented that yet. Is that for Windows only or does it work well on Linux versions too?
ashy7 Wrote:Going to be using either an AMD Athlon X2 270 or X3, so an AM3 Chipset. Some advice on the motherboard to go for would be great!
to select a mobo, you have to select the case size (mini, micro, atx, etc) first. after you selected the case, one of these mobo should work with am3 socket- am3 mobo
Superorb Wrote:Awesome, I didn't know they'd implemented that yet. Is that for Windows only or does it work well on Linux versions too?
it work fine on all my w7 64x machines. sorry, i never use linux.
Thought I'd have a quick read and must say that your writing skills have improved Eskro

Other than these machines being slightly more powerful than they need to be it all looks good. Or maybe you need the higher spec because you run windows Laugh

BTW Just noticed this

eskro Wrote:Q. Out of those builds, which one can accommodate a WiFi Card?
A. Only the Mini-ITX builds can't, so just get a USB Wireless Network Adapter for them instead!!

not entirely true as quite a few mini-itx boards come with wireless onboard or even mini PCI-e slots so that you can add one yourself
^^ You can also stick a PCIe card in the x16 slot as well and it will work.
Superorb Wrote:^^ You can also stick a PCIe card in the x16 slot as well and it will work.

Oh yeah, well spotted ! I forgot about that Nod
Subliminal Aura Wrote:Thought I'd have a quick read and must say that your writing skills have improved Eskro

thanks, i just try to help

Subliminal Aura Wrote:not entirely true as quite a few mini-itx boards come with wireless onboard or even mini PCI-e slots so that you can add one yourself

what happen to your reading skillz? LOL
i know there's miniITX motherboards with built-in WiFi or mini slots but,
i'm referring to the builds in my HTPC Guide specifically....
so what i say is entirely true!!