Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
no doubt, go 64!!
Thanks Bluray!

A 64GB SSD was my first choice, but the stores here are all sold out of SSD's. I had to compromise and go for a HDD instead. =(

Prices on SSD and HHD have soared to 2X the price since that flood in Thailand.

Anyway, I have decided to install Win7 64Bit. Got all the drivers and utilities installed. Also installed XBMC (Works Great!). Finally figured out how to change audio sources while playing different formats.

I'm definitely gonna look into that HP remote. Seems more convenient than my K400 KB. Big Grin

Very happy with this rig. Thanks guys!

S_S
sinful_speed Wrote:Thanks Bluray!

A 64GB SSD was my first choice, but the stores here are all sold out of SSD's. I had to compromise and go for a HDD instead. =(

Prices on SSD and HHD have soared to 2X the price since that flood in Thailand.

Anyway, I have decided to install Win7 64Bit. Got all the drivers and utilities installed. Also installed XBMC (Works Great!). Finally figured out how to change audio sources while playing different formats.

I'm definitely gonna look into that HP remote. Seems more convenient than my K400 KB. Big Grin

Very happy with this rig. Thanks guys!

S_S
I'm glad that everything works out fine for you! Smile If you're into bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD audio, you can try my external player codes. XBMC with external player is probably the easiest way to playback BD in full 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup.
Thanks BluRay, I will definitely consider the bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD audio when I upgrade my system. As of now, I am limited to a mid-range 5.1 surround system. Big Grin

Happy Holidays to all!

S_S
First of all, it's my first post, so...... POP

anyways, I'm pretty sure I died and went to HTPC guide heaven.....however, after reading through all 67 current pages (boring day in lab today) I have one question that I don't believe has been addressed at all yet. Let me begin by first explaining my situation:

I currently have a Slingbox HD-PRO set up at my parents house to sling their local sports to my computer. I am a greedy son of a B and have recently decided that my 27" iMac no longer suffices for my viewing pleasure (mainly because it is in my tiny bedroom). So, now I am planning on building an HTPC from this guide, but I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with Slingbox and XBMC? Once I financially survive the holidays I will start a new thread to begin my build, but I just want to say thanks in advance for any advice people can offer!

-Roost
sinful_speed Wrote:Thanks BluRay, I will definitely consider the bitstream DTS-HD and TrueHD audio when I upgrade my system. As of now, I am limited to a mid-range 5.1 surround system. Big Grin

Happy Holidays to all!

S_S
Make sure that you connect it this way- HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables! Smile
vinylrooster, i dont think you'll have a problem,
specially if your a windows user...
thanks for all the help guys
Can anyone recommend some hardware: mobo, amount of RAM i would need, nice looking small case (ideally mini itx) to go with my gt 430 which can handle bit streaming and 1080p playback ie group #7 build. It will probably run ubuntu / openelec
charlie0440 Wrote:Can anyone recommend some hardware: mobo, amount of RAM i would need, nice looking small case (ideally mini itx) to go with my gt 430 which can handle bit streaming and 1080p playback ie group #7 build. It will probably run ubuntu / openelec

Eek
charlie0440 Wrote:Can anyone recommend some hardware: mobo, amount of RAM i would need, nice looking small case (ideally mini itx) to go with my gt 430 which can handle bit streaming and 1080p playback ie group #7 build. It will probably run ubuntu / openelec

Huh
dtviewer Wrote:Huh

about what?
charlie0440 Wrote:about what?

Ummm, about this:
"Can anyone recommend some hardware:"

You came to a thread that the VERY FIRST POST has '9', yes NINE seperate recommended builds of every piece needed to build a XBMC htpc, and ask if anyone could recommend some parts for you.

So yes, I was confused why you were asking since its already clearly layed out in the very first post....
None of the 9 use a gt 430. It does say you can add one underneath, but I have read of people having problems with the size of the fan on a gt 430 fitting in mini itx cases with another PCI E card. So was just seeing if someone had some recommendations.
charlie0440 Wrote:None of the 9 use a gt 430. It does say you can add one underneath, but I have read of people having problems with the size of the fan on a gt 430 fitting in mini itx cases with another PCI E card. So was just seeing if someone had some recommendations.
This build should work then-

1. Apex MI-100 4BAY Desktop Blk/Silver 250W ATX12V Mitx
2. ASRock E350M1/USB3
3. Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive
4. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3
5. SilenX EFX-12-15T 120mm Case Fan
6. PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430