Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2012-11-02, 16:56)gokudo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a bit confused about getting the right HTPC setup for playing back Hi10P content with xbmcbuntu. Since I'm a lazy person I'm definitely using on of these setups as a base. The question is which one would be sufficient? I already got the info that a core 2 duo or better would be the right choice for the cpu cause the gpu can do nothing with these kind of encodes. If you don't now what I'm talking about think of it like I'm trying to search for a setup which can playback 1080p content without having to rely on vdpau or something similar. Is even the celeron enough since it is a dual core whit over 2 ghz...?

I just built my HTPC about 2 months back so that it could play Hi10P and 1080p (8bit and 10bit encodes) simmilar to your needs.

Im running a newer set-up cuz the new Hi10P encodes are newish as well.

I'm running a LGA1155 mobo setup but an older LGA775 with a Core2Duo (with over 2-2.4ghz) will work fine. I am also running a Win7 Ultimate setup so the less CPU intensive xbmcbuntu should work well but i would recommend 4Gig of DDR3 ram to take care of any of the higher quality stuff you wanna run. I'm using a GForce 610N low profile GPU but any GPU with an HDMI will work: most recomend the GT210 and above to get the job done.
Just wanted some confirmation on my build. My popcorn Hour is on the way out and looking to use my torrent computer for Xbmc. Currently runs linux with ktorrent for torrents.
Current setup.
Intel 60gb ssd foros
AMD Athlon X2 250 processor
8gb ddr3 ram
Few internal hard drives

Plan to add
Gt430 video card

I plan on using the xbmcbuntu and not windows. I use SD, 720p, 1080 2D in avi, mkv and Mp4 format.
Can anyone with experience advise if this will work. My concern is whether running the torrents and xbmcbuntu on this setup will work.
(2012-11-28, 11:19)Goiki7 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-11-02, 16:56)gokudo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a bit confused about getting the right HTPC setup for playing back Hi10P content with xbmcbuntu. Since I'm a lazy person I'm definitely using on of these setups as a base. The question is which one would be sufficient? I already got the info that a core 2 duo or better would be the right choice for the cpu cause the gpu can do nothing with these kind of encodes. If you don't now what I'm talking about think of it like I'm trying to search for a setup which can playback 1080p content without having to rely on vdpau or something similar. Is even the celeron enough since it is a dual core whit over 2 ghz...?

I just built my HTPC about 2 months back so that it could play Hi10P and 1080p (8bit and 10bit encodes) simmilar to your needs.

Im running a newer set-up cuz the new Hi10P encodes are newish as well.

I'm running a LGA1155 mobo setup but an older LGA775 with a Core2Duo (with over 2-2.4ghz) will work fine. I am also running a Win7 Ultimate setup so the less CPU intensive xbmcbuntu should work well but i would recommend 4Gig of DDR3 ram to take care of any of the higher quality stuff you wanna run. I'm using a GForce 610N low profile GPU but any GPU with an HDMI will work: most recomend the GT210 and above to get the job done.

Thanks man, was looking for that kind of info for a while now! Smile
After reading a lot of configurations on several websites I made my one. But I'm not sure if it will be good enough, or that it might be a overkill. I would really appreciate it if someone could gave me some tips. I want to use it for the following purposes:
- xbmc, playing full HD mkv files with sub and dts
- Downloading content using sickbeard sabnzbd etc.
- Compatible with usb 3.0
- Compatible with a logitech Harmony
- A alternative for qouch (I can't find that program anymore...)
- I have a Blueray player, so that is not necessary

The Configuration I have so far is:
- Inter i3 3225
- AS-Rock H77M
- 2 4GB RAM 1600MHZ (I'm not sure if this is not to much...)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 3TB
- And I don't have a clue witch case, adapter and cooling I need

I hoop you can help me out!
These cases should work-

-LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-Q09FNB
-APEX MI-100BK Black Steel Mini-ITX

If you are looking for a low profile CPU cooler, this "GELID Solutions Slim Silence i-Plus" is 28mm in height.....
Any alternative for the Apex MI-008 in europe? Cause it's listed as not available anymore since 2011 everywhere in my country Sad
(2012-12-07, 18:13)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]These cases should work-

If you are looking for a low profile CPU cooler, this "GELID Solutions Slim Silence i-Plus" is 28mm in height.....

Thank you for your reply, and the hardware will be sufficient for a HTPC? And would you advise 2 or 4 GB?
(2012-12-08, 11:57)joost1990 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-07, 18:13)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]These cases should work-

Thank you for your reply, and the hardware will be sufficient for a HTPC? And would you advise 2 or 4 GB?
It should be more than enough for HTPC. In fact, it should make a powerful HTPC. 4GB of RAM is preferred for Windows.....

Hi Everyone,

I am about to ask a noob question because I am new to XBMC. I recently have this running great on a standalone PC connected to my TV and have the ipad remote working great. My question is, and please direct me to the correct forum location if needed, that I am designing a new system to run a number of HTPCs connected to NAS/File server. If I want to run with my home theatre, can I run the audio output to the reciever and control the reciever via XBMC? I would also like to run multi room audio in the same way. I have investigated some threads here that will explain this. But as I am still designing the systems configuration are there any pointers out there to assist me. I would fundamentally like to run a central file repository for media, and a number of TVs (via XBMC) and have some as PVRs but also if possible link this to IP Security cameras (is there a third party app or is this another feed in?). Ideally I could change the channel so to speak and see who is at the front door kind of thing.

I will also need to design the network topography etc so it is a substantial design which is why I want to get it reasonably right on paper before I start buying hardware. Ideally, I would like to use the XBMC to control loghting etc (like RTI type apps) but I am unable to locate a third party app for this or the interface to lighting.

Can anyone offer any pointers or assistance please....

Many thanks.
(2012-12-15, 14:09)Rick76 Wrote: [ -> ]If I want to run with my home theatre, can I run the audio output to the reciever and control the reciever via XBMC? I would also like to run multi room audio in the same way.
Yes, check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........

(2012-12-07, 23:26)gokudo Wrote: [ -> ]Any alternative for the Apex MI-008 in europe? Cause it's listed as not available anymore since 2011 everywhere in my country Sad

This is the same case with a different facade: http://www.jcp-tech.de/de/produkte/mini-...06262.html
My Needs:
1. Streaming all types of content (mkv, m2ts, avi, ISO, etc) including Blu Ray rips (all my content is on a NAS)
2. Download content (via Usenet) - this also means uncompressing downloaded material
3. Serve content to other devices in the house
4. Be very quiet, look good and have excellent performance
5. Windows OS only

I have looked into the following items:
- MOBO: Asus Motherboard P8H61-M LX PLUS R2.0 Core i7/i5/i3 LGA1155 H61 DDR3 SATA microATX Retail
- CPU: Intel Core i3 3225 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB Retail Box
- Memory: 4-8gb DDR3
- Hard Drive: I will be getting SSD probably around 64GB for OS only
- Case: SILVERSTONE ML03B
questions:
- is this set up enough
- if i were to get a mobo with HDMI, is a GPU needed? which one yields better result?
- would this set up play 1080p with HD Dolby/DTS?
- can this set up plays music without any loss in quality?
- can this play 3D 1080p ?
(2012-12-17, 23:18)jugajatt Wrote: [ -> ]- CPU: Intel Core i3 3225 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB Retail Box
questions:
- is this set up enough
- if i were to get a mobo with HDMI, is a GPU needed? which one yields better result?
Intel i3-3225 with 3.3GHz dual-core CPU and HD4000 iGPU should be more than enough for HTPC.....all you need is a mobo with HDMI to playback blu-ray 1080P video, bitstreaming HD audio and 3d.....

(2012-12-17, 23:59)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 23:18)jugajatt Wrote: [ -> ]- CPU: Intel Core i3 3225 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB Retail Box
questions:
- is this set up enough
Intel i3-3225 with 3.3GHz dual-core CPU and HD4000 iGPU should be more than enough for HTPC.....all you need is a mobo with HDMI to playback blu-ray 1080P video, bitstreaming HD audio and 3d.....

Thanks for quick reply bluray, what motherboard would you recommend? Will everything work well witht eh case? everything should fit right?

(2012-12-18, 03:12)jugajatt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-12-17, 23:59)bluray Wrote: [ -> ]
questions:
- is this set up enough

Thanks for quick reply bluray, what motherboard would you recommend? Will everything work well witht eh case? everything should fit right?
This mobo "ASRock Z77 Pro4-M" should be great for that case.....and this "SILVERSTONE SST-ST40F-ES" PSU.....