Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would suggest everyone asking about new builds start a new thread so it will get noticed Smile
(2013-10-02, 18:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest everyone asking about new builds start a new thread so it will get noticed Smile

I agree, cause these stickys is way overdue!
(2013-10-02, 18:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest everyone asking about new builds start a new thread so it will get noticed Smile

I agree too.! SmileSmile
I have this spare pc lying around can I convert it into a htpc it has the following specs

i3 540 processor
4gb ram
320gb Hard drive
Asrock H55M-LE motherboard

Will I be able to play 1080p video files using the vga from motherboard to tv
(2013-10-04, 21:48)Saskue Wrote: [ -> ]I have this spare pc lying around can I convert it into a htpc it has the following specs

i3 540 processor
4gb ram
320gb Hard drive
Asrock H55M-LE motherboard

Will I be able to play 1080p video files using the vga from motherboard to tv

What model TV do you have?
Just an FYI I wasnt aware of. I just updated my HTPC to a ASRock FM2 A85X ITX and A8 5600k.

I noticed I can power it on from a complete off state using my logitech K400 keyboard. Nice upgrade. If I hit the power button on the keyboard when its on it puts it to sleep. But if its completely off and push it It powers it on. So far I'm liking the new board
Hello Guys,

I am just about to buy the parts for my HTPC, and would like to ask for your opinions about the hardware I am planning to get.
Is is going to be ok to play 3d movies, will It be energy efficient, would you change any parts do different ones if it was your build?

Motherboard: ASROCK FM2A85X-ITX
CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.60GHz FM2 BOX
SSD: OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G Agility 3 120GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD
Case: SilverStone SST-GD06B(Black)
Memory: KINGSTON 4GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 KIT
Power supply: ANTEC EA-380D Green
+HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 X2
CPU cooler: SCYTHE Shuriken Rev. B
Soundcard: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

I already have the SSD and the sound card. would it be a good idea to put the SSD in or is it ok to have a "normal" hard drive? Is there any point to install the soundcard or the on board one would be good enough?

Thank you for all the help and suggestions! Smile
What do you guy's think of this config, I know it extreme but it's cheaper then the Intel NUC and gorgeous LOL

AMD PILEDRIVER A-4 4000 DUAL CORE 3.2Ghz CPU
8GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
1000GB Hard Drive Storage Space
CROOSSFIRE ATI RADEON HD 7480D + 2GB ATI RADEON HD 6670
ASRock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0 Mini-ITX FM2 Sata 3 USB 3.0

for only £399
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCHW-PILEDRIVER-...i-itx+case
Where in the world is eSKRo? This thread was so useful but where are the updates?
Eskro,

PM sent, I appreciate your help.

TRP
Hi everyone!

I have been using XBMC for 2 years now! I designed a case specifically to run XBMC with the Raspberry Pi on your TV stand. I launched a Kickstarter project yesterday and wanted to share with you!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1169...spberry-pi

Please let me know what you think!

Cut a hole for the ethernet port and we'll talk :)
Great feedback! There is actually a groove in the bottom housing of the case so that the user can cut out a hole neatly to reveal the ethernet port if they wish.

Check out the picture in the link below!

I have the following hardware:

- Case: SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX Media Center/HTPC Case ML03B (Black)
- I3-3225
- 8gb ram

I’m looking for atx mobo which supports Intel i3 processor and really important that mobo has hardware Wake On Lan, Can someone recommend a good mobo?
Quick question.

I want to be able to use Sickbeard with Torrents - I already have a BTGuard subscription (Torrent VPN that uses uTorrent). Can I do that with any of the XBMC OS's, or will I have to install the full Ubuntu? If so, will that massively impact the specs of my HTPC? In which case would it be worth paying for Usenet and getting the XBMC OS integration?

As a quick second question: how good are the XBMC OS's at dealing with the media storage aspect of running a media server (assuming I build a HTPC with a connected 2TB external USB hard drive)? Can I easily sync/move media to my Android phone or am I going to be missing key functionality?