Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Power Mac G5 stutters during 1080p.. what can I do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Any recommendations for an upgrade to address this?

I'm no expert, but I've heard newer nvidia cards can off-load some processing or something, and the Broadcom Crystal HD looks like it would really do the trick, if it's supported in the Power Mac G5 (no pcie.. just airport extreme, which may work??).

Any tips or suggestions guys? Yes, I could replace the entire thing with something newer/cheaper, but I also use this system for surfing and skype, so a boxee box or atv doesn't really help.

Thanks in advance!!
No responses, and this leads me to think either:

a - this was a stupid question with an obvious answer

or

b - there's no easy answer and I should just forget it

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm new to XBMC.

Thanks!
With a Power Mac G5, pretty much out of luck unless by some miracle the future VideoToolBox hw decoder works there. Since PPC is limited to 10.5.x. I doubt it.

Maybe a CrystalHD in a mini pci-e to pci-e adapter. Hard to say, there has been ppc endian work in CrystalHD (linux) but I would not be sure that all would be fine with OSX driver/lib side.
Same here, I need to find a cheaper solution than MacMini intel..

Which generation is your powermac ? Power Mac G5, Power Mac G5 (Late 2005), Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Power Mac G5 (Late 2004), Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) ?
Look for the processor frequency and number of cores then look at the apple specs pages:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safa...8&oe=UTF-8

The cristal HD uses a mini PCI-Express connector.
PowerMac G5 has a mini PCI-X connector (the airport card connector) wich is not compatible with PCI-Express

Location of this connector is described here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1305

If you come across a crystal HD decoder on a PCI X card, post it !!!
Seems like an old macmini intel or old AppleTV is the only way... Sad