Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Don't believe the hype - Dharma Final + CrystalHD 174 works fine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Instead of a thread to complain, I thought I'd start a thread to let anyone afraid to upgrade know that all is OK. Cool

After reading some earlier threads about troubles with Dharma and HD playback, I took the plunge and updated my Dharma Beta 2 / CHD r156 install to Dharma Final / CHD r174.

Not only has playback not worsened, it's improved. Prior to the upgrade, I had a half dozen x264 rips I couldn't play (mostly dodgy TV rips, and a couple movies). Since the update, I can play every single file in my collection. First time I've been able to say that.

I'm on Pin87a's minimal Ubuntu image, along with a $20 Ebay CrystalHD of dubious origin.

Thanks Scott for the amazing work on CHD, XBMC team for the amazing work on everything XBMC, Pin87a for the Ubuntu image, and deltazulu for the concise instructions for upgrading XBMC and CHD via SSH.

Carry on.
I'd like to 100% agree, I've got an AppleTV with Pin87a's image, a CrystalHD card of the 15 model with Dharma final on it and no matter what I throw at it, it works great. Also thanks to the skinners especially Cirrus devs which works brilliantly on the Dharma release.

The only observation was I got I tried the ElectTV version from USB and I was getting many more dropped frames, some stuttering and higher CPU / higher memory use than the Pin87a image, so reverted back.

Thanks to all hard work from many of the devs on XBMC, I and many others have a great media centre for so little money and effort.

You guys rock and thanks!
Note, though, that this is under Linux. I wonder if it's also true for XBMC Dharma under OSX on the ATV1G. I have been playing with the openelec distribution ( Linux). Will have to go back and see what happens using the native ATV OS.

philip
I'm on an ATV under OSX, eBay card, 10.0 and r156 and all is working quite peachy... 1080p mkv's and all.
Hi,

the setup I`m using (OSX + Dharma final + CHD 015) is also just working fine. No crashes, no stuttering (true for 720p, I didn`t try 1080p mkv files until now).

I can highly recommend to upgrade to the final version.
andrewspearns Wrote:I'm on an ATV under OSX, eBay card, 10.0 and r156 and all is working quite peachy... 1080p mkv's and all.

so the playback for 1080p is just as smooth/good as for 720p? Always thought I`d need Linux.
I've only downloaded a few of them, and they've been just fine. Specifically, the three Bourne movies. Using a CHD 012 card from eBay
defcon Wrote:so the playback for 1080p is just as smooth/good as for 720p? Always thought I`d need Linux.

You're right. ATVOS + CHD only outputs at 720p, even if it is capable of decoding 1080p. You need Linux to output at 1080p.

Some would argue, but the extra file size for 1080p is mostly pointless for most setups (screen size, distance from TV). Especially so if you're only outputting at 720p...
brock_gonad Wrote:You're right. ATVOS + CHD only outputs at 720p, even if it is capable of decoding 1080p. You need Linux to output at 1080p.

Some would argue, but the extra file size for 1080p is mostly pointless for most setups (screen size, distance from TV). Especially so if you're only outputting at 720p...

I agree with your point, I only download 720p files typically because the extra filesize of a 1080p file is pointless. I downloaded a three pack of Bourne movies just to give the CHD card a run for it's money on 1080p files.

With my setup, I don't get any benefit from 1080p with my screen size, viewing distance, etc...
Point 1 on ATV OSX Dharma final is worse than Dharma beta 2 where there is a known playback issue
Point 2 the old 28256 in the original Pin87a image in Ubuntu plays better than Dharma
Point 3 the beta2 is better than Dharma for OSX but for Linux is pretty same however still worse than the ancient 28256 with crystal r26 and slower
Point 4 why would you use the Ubuntu also for 720p? Because most Tv sets are crap at cadence detection for 6:4 pulldown (24p to 60Hz) and introduce judder no matter what, if you use Ubuntu you can set the refresh at 24p and the playback gets smoother
Surprised to see my name up there. Thanks for the recognition, but I simply posted what I'd learned from others here. Pin78a, Sam, Scott.

Smile