Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Long standing Problem with FTP Shares
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looked everywhere can't find an answer for this problem.

I use both FTP Shares and SMB Shares depending if im on my home LAN or traveling with my Laptop or ATV.

I can't delete files or folders off my my FTP Share in video file mode (I have the option enabled in skin settings)

same problem in Filemanager - context menu only offers copy option, but Move and delete are missing.

I can only delete or move files or folders when I am using a SMB share..
Is there a way to enable these features for FTP shares?

BUMP
bump
Bump.... This is major for me, can someone please try this for themselves and verify. I've tried it on win,mac and atv. All no joy for FTP delete
I had a quick look, but I can't see how to delete a file from inside XBMC. Can you talk me through how you're attempting to delete the file and I'll try it from a debugger and see what happens.

JR
OK

I'll answer your question with four screen shots see below:

Ak, OK. I'm 99% certain that the File Manager doesn't support deleting or renaming from FTP sources. Assume for now that it doesn't, and if I find time to dig through the source and I discover that it does, I will post here accordingly.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Ak, OK. I'm 99% certain that the File Manager doesn't support deleting or renaming from FTP sources. Assume for now that it doesn't, and if I find time to dig through the source and I discover that it does, I will post here accordingly.

JR

Thank you
I'm 99% certain too..
So then My question is why doesn't XBMC support those options under FTP shares, It seems like a simple task to add the missing ftp commands into XBMC code. but then again I am not a programmer...

Also there was another feature that i loved
But about a 2 years ago it changed NoNoNo

If I have a SMB share folder on the left side and a SMB share on the right side (Both from the Same hard drive partition), and I do a file or folder move from the context menu, it used to be as quick as if i dragged a folder into another folder in windows explorer(instantaneously)...

BUT about 2 years ago something changed with xbmc code and now it takes forever to do a file or folder move in file manager.. Apparently now XBMC reads the whole file over Ethernet and then writes the whole file to the new location. whereas in the past it must have sent a Samba move command which was lightning fast.

can you please find out what happened.

i use these features all the time...
chuckkay Wrote:So then My question is why doesn't XBMC support those options under FTP shares, It seems like a simple task to add the missing ftp commands into XBMC code. but then again I am not a programmer...

Well features get added when a developer considers them to be top of their to-do list. This feature isn't top of my to-do list because I always do file management through the operating system not through XBMC. Unless you can interest a developer, and the lack of response to this thread suggests this will be hard, the best you can do is file a feature request on trac.xbmc.org and wait.

JR