Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problems with XBMC and Revo 1600
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've got a Revo 1600 w/ 2G RAM running XBMC Live installed. In the past week its started getting flakier and flakier - videos stop in the middle for no reason mostly. Reinstalling XBMC had no effect. Today the wife told me that it had happened again, she hit Play to resume the video and it turned itself off (into Standby mode). If it were overheating, I would expect it to go hard-off, not Standby...

These problems started about a week or two ago.

Setup: XBMC is connected over ethernet back to my server, streaming videos over SMB. XBMC library is pulling from the same server using MySQL (since I have multiple media centers throughout the house). XBMC Thumbs are connected to the same server by creating a symlink in fstab (I think this is the correct terminology, I'm not very linux-savvy).
The 1600 is wired with HDMI into a stereo receiver, and from the receiver over HDMI to the TV.

I'm thinking it may be one of several things:
1) Errant electricity. A few weeks ago I accidentally cut the grounding wire that runs around the outside of the house. (House was built in the 50s, to ground the outlets a grounding wire was ran around the outside into a grounding rod and then tied into the house plugs that share the outside wall). Problem with this theory is the 1600 doesnt have a grounding prong. However, the stereo receiver and other assorted equipment (cable box, etc) do, as do the power strip theyre plugged into. I plan to fix this today.
2) Network problems. The entire LAN is Gig-e, I havent powercycled the main router or various switches yet - havent had any other reason to other than this one box's problem. I'll do so tonight.
3) The 1600 is just plain dying. It was the el-cheapo option when I bought it, was more proof-of-concept than anything that I then turned production. Thinking about upgrading to the 3610 (or is it the 3700 series now?). What is the preferred platform these days?

No, I have no debug log yet. Sad Will obtain tonight.

Thoughts?
That sounds more like a faulty power brick. Or the hardware commissioned it's soul to the hardware God.

btw, 1600 isn't the el-cheapo option. They're great little machines. I owned 2 and sold them to buy the a big brother: Asrock 330.
Good thought on the power brick!
I swapped the box with the 1600 from another room that hardly gets used, but is configured the same, brick and all. Fixed the grounding wire and rebooted all LAN equipment. So far so good...

And yeah, the 1600 wasn't el cheapo per se, just when compared to other atom boxes. It's done damned well for itself in it's dedicated role.

Thanks for the suggestion!
You're welcome. Glad to be useful.