Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux][LIVE] Minimize Boottime
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there
Actually I use xbmc-live installed on a ocz-ssd wich boots pretty fast.
But like allways I am looking for some tricks and stuff, to speed things up Big Grin

I need xbmc for full mediaplayback, but only from internal drives and a upnp device.
I dont use usb drives.

I dont know if LIVE is the best solution allready, or what to use instead.

greetings
My trick for speedy boot time, use OpenELEC.tv Wink

This is a live, lightweight, and speedy "distro" of XBMC.
Tryed openelec a view days ago, but had some strange problems with this system.
Had no time to get it done till now Sad

Whats the big difference between Live and Openelec ?
And how much faster is it?
No difference in usability, really. Because it's optimized to not carry dead weight, it boots a lot faster. That's an important thing for the appliance feeling most of us pursue.
gmozilla Wrote:Tryed openelec a view days ago, but had some strange problems with this system.
Had no time to get it done till now Sad

we all have "some strange problems", please let us know in our forum on http://www.openelec.tv or in our IRC channel #openelec on freenode what for problems you have, so we can fix this problems :-)
hudo Wrote:No difference in usability, really. Because it's optimized to not carry dead weight, it boots a lot faster. That's an important thing for the appliance feeling most of us pursue.

we have a nice auto update system, so the user must not fiddle with updating. we have a own config dialog plugin, so the most OS specific options can be done via XBMC. The goal is the user dont must use a shell or something. its designed to be fast, small and most userfriendly. most recent systems should work out nearly of the box.
sraue Wrote:we all have "some strange problems", please let us know in our forum on http://www.openelec.tv or in our IRC channel #openelec on freenode what for problems you have, so we can fix this problems :-)

Thx :-) I will give it a ne try later the day and will give some response.
there's various things that you can try and no one suggested, installing ureadahead and prelink is one of them there are are many optimizations which can make even a normal xbmclive or xbmcbuntu type install give openelec and oters "a run for its money".

I don't have a ssd and my boot time is under 15 seconds with a crappy 5400rpm stock hdd.

You can go even further by reading stuff like this

Just saying use this instead of this is not always the best. At leat my post answers the original question

As usual a hdd full backup is recommended just in case never a bad idea, especially when your tinkering.

Funny but installing some "right stuff" can make a huge difference in boot time

It works so I'm not going to break it.
sraue Wrote:we have a nice auto update system, *snip

Auto update in xbmc? where? asif. if you mean openelec then yea but I still prefer my own poison, full control nothing beats that if you want to be a master of your own system and happen to know what your doing, otherwise go n00b and use whatever 3rd party there is.

One thing is sure I rather eat openelec then xbmcfreak if I was using a 3rd party solution other than mine Big Grin
X3lectric: yes, you did answer the question. and so did the rest of us with our suggestions. everyone has their own approaches... Wink

Although I do like to tinker and tweak my setups (XBMC Live, XBMCFreak, etc.) to include optimizations some people may prefer an all-in-one solution for speeding up boot. This is why I suggested OpenELEC. There are many benefits and you still get a pure XBMC experience.

Since OpenELEC is lightweight and drops unneeded bloat from the package, it can achieve a very speedy start. Like you, I also use a standard 5400rpm internal HDD and get fast boot-times. It makes my HTPC truly feel like an appliance.

Finally, regarding OpenELEC automatic updates. You can still have a great amount of control with OpenELEC (you act like it is locked down). I can choose to automatically download and install latest updates, manually update (but notify me of a new update available), or no auto-updating at all.

This feature is extremely convenient because I have always found it to be a pain to upgrade XBMC. Rather than needing to backup your configuration and library, OpenELEC can automatically upgrade and your HTPC will be running the latest version of OpenELEC (which also includes the latest changes of XBMC)! Now I do not need to reconfigure my HTPC after a major XBMC upgrade. I can simply upgrade and go on with my life. Big Grin
Dont put words in my posts...(mouth) really.....

If I wanted to say something I would there's no hidden meaning in any of my posts its what it is not more nor less, if you get a certain impression, not my bad. Don't jump down my throat. Oo

I have happened to do work for openelec.tv. I did actually say I prefer openelec to xbmcfreaks distros, but what you prolly dont know is that I have my own little xbmc installer so I rather use what I know and worked on myself and a hit of a button and hey presto xbmc is latest git. Latest videio drivers or whatever I want whenever I want. Heck I even have a bunch of ppas with tons of stuff.

Updating stuff is easy, controlling evry aspect of your system is another completely different kettle of fish...

I though i was pretty clear obviously not...Sad why or why do I actually bother... I gotta get me another distraction aside form these forums.
X3lectric Wrote:Dont put words in my posts...(mouth) really.....

If I wanted to say something I would there's no hidden meaning in any of my posts its what it is not more nor less, if you get a certain impression, not my bad. Don't jump down my throat. Oo

I have happened to do work for openelec.tv. I did actually say I prefer openelec to xbmcfreaks distros, but what you prolly dont know is that I have my own little xbmc installer so I rather use what I know and worked on myself and a hit of a button and hey presto xbmc is latest git. Latest videio drivers or whatever I want whenever I want. Heck I even have a bunch of ppas with tons of stuff.

Updating stuff is easy, controlling evry aspect of your system is another completely different kettle of fish...

I though i was pretty clear obviously not...Sad why or why do I actually bother... I gotta get me another distraction aside form these forums.

You're a cranky bastard lately.
Hey man... I did not mean to step on your toes. I was friendly throughout my post and simply stated that some people like a pre-packaged solution (rather than hands-on tinkering).

I never said either one of us was right or wrong. I am saying everyone has different preferences. I actually think it is really awesome that you have created a tool and method to automatically update your HTPC directly from Git to run the latest commits. Wink

I was simply stating that the rest of us were also trying to answer his question to the best of our ability and experience... Confused
Hey ... stop this!

I really like both solutions! Its allways nice to have a ready to got System, where you dont need to worry about things, but on the other side i am to much a person, who wants to do all the little things by my self just to learn exactly this little things.

Well, i think the fact that im actually hacking my VGA and Mainboard Bios to minimize System-Post-Time, tells you what i am ready to go for ;-)