Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Afraid to buy the wrong thing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I am using XBMC for windows as a media center on a pc, with a PCI-E HDMI card and I am very happy with it.
I want to keep the old look of XBMC, so I am using the "classic mayhem skin".

Actually, I changed 4 years ago from an old "xbox 1" with this skin to an Apple macbook Pro with XBMC (Plex) on it, to this Dell, and until now I am really happy with it.

I also have a Dreambox 7000 (not HD) that I use daily. Unfortunately, without HD support.
Now I first got the idea to buy a new dreambox to be able to watch HD channels, but now a collegue of mine got the bright idea to buy a satellite card.

Now I saw online that there is a card called "TBS 8921 PCI DVB-S2 TV Tuner card" that has great support for the more demanding users.

I see that it has support for Windows 7 and Linux, but I want to use it in Windows..in my existing configuration with XBMC.

My questions now are :

1) Can I get this card to work in XBMC without the use of MythTV or another program? Or is this the only way to get it done. (and to text-tv/teletext and channelinfo / tvguides also work then?)

2) Can I implement CCcam support in/for XBMC, or is this a windows service or program that runs in the back? I saw that there was a client for windows, but I cannot see if it automatically works then for all media players that run in Windows.

The card is not very expensive, but I rather donĀ“t take a chance, if people could help me here.

If needed I could change to linux, but I rather keep it in Windows.

Anwers would be greatly appreciated.

Friendly Greetings,
Demesmaeker
No response, but my questions arent very standard I guess.

I have bought the card any way, because I think I will get it to work.
If its not under windows, then under Linux.

Will report later how I got it all to work (hope to get my card in a week from now)

Friendly greetings,
Demesmaeker
demesmaeker Wrote:No response, but my questions arent very standard I guess.

I have bought the card any way, because I think I will get it to work.
If its not under windows, then under Linux.

Will report later how I got it all to work (hope to get my card in a week from now)

Friendly greetings,
Demesmaeker

Do not buy this card.

Tried all the front and back ends and I can get it to work in Windows and in Linux, but :

- zapping is slow. That, you cannot fix. I mean..Its a tunerproblem, not a softwareproblem.
- cccam plugins are hard to get to work, and if they work, zapping is even slower
- linuxdriver was okay when I bought the card, but now no longer compatible with the new kernel (there is a new one now, since a few days. Have not tested that one!)
- remote control drivers (remote control is included) are hard to get to work in linux. In Windows, it worked perfectly.

So both in Linux and Windows, this card is not what I was looking for. Fortunately, I did not loose a lot of money, because it was cheap, but still....
Lost many many days testing, reinstalling en googling.
Hi.. What backend software did you use for the ccam?
@groovyghouly
that post is over 2 years old, this is not cccam support forum. please read the rules of this forum and stick to them.

strike 2, you are out on 3

thanks