Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [REQUEST] Plugin to Simplify Adding Media Sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all!

I was wondering if it would be possible to write a plugin to simplify adding media sources. What i was thinking of was something similar to the way Windows Media center manages sources. It could work as follows:

Click manages sources > choose type of content to add > pick location of content > finish

Essentially it would automatically pick the correct settings for the type of content you chose. This would makes things much simpler to the end user. Not having to use the file manager or pick a scrapper , or configure scan options.

Would something like this even be possible to add into XBMC via a plugin? I work for a company that would be willing to pay to have such a plugin developed if anyone was interested.
I think the current way is easy and gives the user some configuration options. I like being able to pick what scraper I want etc.. Also the set content pops up after you add a source now so that makes it easy also. what do you find difficult?
@simplechords: What would be interesting is a mockup of how you see the UI working. I will almost certainly be revamping this either prior to Eden or shortly after (depending on time constraints) so the more input/ideas there are the better.

My idea was basically:

1. All configuration is done in settings rather than via context menu/add sources etc. in main windows.
2. User specifies the type of content first and foremost (essentially movies, shows, plus extras such as documentaries and the like, plus the ability to specify arbitrary ones).
3. User specifies browses for the path of the content. Possibility for more than one path here - not sure if that should be here or whether we should stick to just one path and instead allow the combining of multiple paths elsewhere in the UI.
4. User (optionally) sets a name for the source.
5. User (optionally) configures how metadata will be fetched.

4&5 would be auto-filled with sensible defaults based on content type, user language etc. It would ideally all be on a single dialog so that the user has a simple overview of what those default settings are.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Jonathan,

Thanks for the response, I'll see if i can make a mockup. Your idea is essentially what I was suggesting.