Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help on streaming from library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there some way you can add movies to your library without having to scrape them?

My problem is this: I have one PC, and one notebook, and I want to stream video from my PC to my notebook. When using UPnP I get buffer under-run, but not when streaming through, what I believe to be the XBMSP protocol, the thing when you stream from one xbmc to another. The thing is that it seems I can only stream what's in my library, but sometimes the scrapers don't work so UPnP is then the only option. But then I'm stuck on watching a film or TV show that halts now and then to buffer.

The only thing I know is that I can stream from library, but if there are other solutions to this then I'd be glad to hear about them.
I donĀ“t know if I got this right but: have tried in "file mode" instead of "library mode"?
What I want to do is use my PC as server and access my movies from it through my notebook. I can only browse movies in library mode on my notebook that have been scraped on my PC. In file mode, it's not the same thing as far as I can tell, cuz I can't seem to add a source where the protocoll is one where I don't get buffer-underrun.
I would just share the video directory on the server then use an SMB source on your laptop in file mode.

JR
k, will try that
thx
Took time to get into XBMC again, sadly I've already have tried SMB as source and this is when I get buffer-underruns. Got this mixed up with UPnP as stated in my first post, but I think they are pretty similar anyways, but if I recall correctly, I've tried them both with the same result. Anybody knows why there's a difference though between when I use XBMSP and others?
As far as I can tell, there is little documentation on what the different protocols are and how to use them. As such, I don't even know how to try the other ones out, or if I'm even using XBMSP as I think I am, lol. The only reason I think I am using XBMSP is because it's only available if XBMC is running on both PC and notebook.
If you get buffer underruns when using SMC (which is completely different to uPnP) then you probably have a network problem unrelated to XBMC.

JR
Regardless of whatever network problem I have or don't have, it still works smoothly when streaming directly from XBMC to XBMC. If there are no other ways then fine, but then there's still the problem of only being able to access what's on the other XBMC's library.
Isn't there some way you can add movies and TV shows to the library without having to scrape them?

Thanks for taking your time on this Wink
john.doe Wrote:Isn't there some way you can add movies and TV shows to the library without having to scrape them?

Yes, though it's tedious as you have to manually write a .nfo file. See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=.nf..._nfo_Files

JR
Thank you rennie! It sure looks tedious, but this will have to do I guess. I hope they make it possible to add files to libraries without the need of scraping in the future.
john.doe Wrote:I hope they make it possible to add files to libraries without the need of scraping in the future.

Well, no. To add a file to the library you need info about it, and that info has to come from somewhere. As a last resort you could probably write a bit of Python (or whatever your favourite scripting language is) to find video files and create dummy .nfo files.

JR
I don't argue against that files added to the library must come with some sort of meta-data, but I can't see any reason why that meta-data absolutely MUST come from a scraper. I have experienced scrapers that provided incorrect data, and there's no easy way to fix this. The only I know of is from the link you provided earlier, about making .nfo files, but IMO there should be some way to edit such data manually, much like how most music players can edit meta-data, ID3tags and such, from within the music player. Having a streamlined way to edit such meta-data in XBMC would make it possible to manually "scrape" data instead of rely on scrapers or make tedious edits in xml files.
If the scrapper gets the wrong info, you can always tell it to re scrape the video which will allow you to choose the correct source.