Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Naming Conventions for Movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was using Mediaplayer in windows media center, and they suggested using the naming convention of creating a folder with the movie name and year, and then dumping the file inside that folder. So, for Avatar, it would be like this:

Folder Name: Avatar (2010)
File Name in Folder: Avatar.mkv

I would like to get away from this if possible, I'd like to just put all of my movies in one folder.

So, how does everyone go about doing this and still get the information about the movie displayed on XBMC?
One folder per movie is better and increases likely hood of scrapers matching, however you could dump them all in a single folder.

Better question might be why do you want to change - what benefits do you think it will give you?
dzirkelb Wrote:I was using Mediaplayer in windows media center, and they suggested using the naming convention of creating a folder with the movie name and year, and then dumping the file inside that folder. So, for Avatar, it would be like this:

Folder Name: Avatar (2010)
File Name in Folder: Avatar.mkv

I would like to get away from this if possible, I'd like to just put all of my movies in one folder.

So, how does everyone go about doing this and still get the information about the movie displayed on XBMC?

Name your movie files as you were the folder name. e.g. Avatar (2010).mkv or Avatar.2010.mkv.

If you want the skin to detect the source of the movie do somethink like:

Avatar.2010.bluray.mkv or Avatar.2010.dvd.mkv

But the one movie per folder is the better option, IMO.
Thanks for the info guys.

I was going to do a renaming convention for my own programming. I didn't want to have to scan the folder to get all the folder names, then do a like comparison to get the correct folder path, then go into that folder to get the movie.

If I move them all into one folder with the naming convention of Avatar.2010.mkv, the skin should pick everything up as it normally does, correct? With that naming convention I can just split the name into an array by the period, and grab the first chunk for the movie name Smile
I have most of my movies in one folder - I use sub-folders for sets. And I don't have any problems with the scrapers.