Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New to the scene few noobs questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello this is my first post in this world of XBMC and linux so please be gentle.
I want to build PC for me and my wife just for movies and stuff.i have an old motherboard(G41) and two old GPU (ATI HD or 7900 LE nvidia) first what will be better for XBMC Nvidia or ATI?
this pc will be only for watching hd movies what is the best operation system for it?Linux?
LIVE ? i assuming that windows xp or 7 is the worst option.
can i use my ipad as a remote or as wireless mouse and keyboard(something like gmote android apps).

thank you all.
Nvidia setup instructions are more widely available and easier to follow, especially if you want to use Hardware acceleration. 7900 LE doesn't support vdpau so you might need a different video card.

I personally use the followin:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

In terms of setup, they most work well out of the box and sometimes you might have to play a little to get the audio to work out from HDMI. You can find help though here.

Yes you can use an Ipad as a remote, I use the app called xbmc commander.
thank you for your reply.
i live in israel so i prefer to buy it here but we have only this card:
GT210 Silent 512MB GDDR2 DVI HDMI PCI-E
will this card be good for 1080P blu ray movies.
is the best way to built HTPC based only on XBMC is with live linux installed on hdd?
It's more than enough for 1080p movies.
Silent cards are always a help. Wink

h.udo
EN/PT
thanks for the reply.what about my other question?
do you think that the best installation(best=lite for old mobos and old cards)
or do u think that xp is better?
xp is not a choice cuz of dxva2 lack. If u dont need windows (gaming etc) then live / linux is best idea.
ok thank you very much i will try messing with stuff and hopefully proceed well. thank you very much for the help
I prefer Linux by a long shot. I have both installed on my HTPC (i.e. Linux and XP). Bimbows has many more limitations whereas Linux allows you to write your own apps to support features you may need very easily.

I use a 2.4 dual core with 4GB RAM(which is overkill - don't waste your money on this much memory), over a teraByte of disk space via SATAII drives, simple turtle beach sound card which outputs unmodified digital steam to my HT processor for playback of DTS wav/CD files as well as you usual stuff(movies, CD's, etc).
I use an Nvidia geforce 8400 and can play back 1080p fine, though I have on occassion seen a little jerkiness - even with VPau - selecting "software" rendering in XBMC fixed it however?!

My Bimbows system won't playback 44.1khz DTS as well as many other formats. It doesn't boot directly into XBMC like my Linux system does. And it costs money - my Linux system is entirely free, in every sense of the word! ;-)
you convice me already to use linux.but my dilema is to install the newest live cd on my hdd.
or installing some linux distributions(linux.debian etc etc)
and again this pc will only be for movies and series to my full hd lcd.nothing more(games,surfing etc etc).
I would say it depends on how comfortable you are with linux.

There are great guide out there, and the first one to start with if you either going to use the live cd or even do your own build is xbmcbuntu wiki.

My only suggestion is whatever guide your using is that when they tell you to install something, try and use a ppa whenever possible, I find them more convenient.

Best of luck.
ok after two days of learning and installing stuff i want to say that this system is AMAZING.full HD movies run smoothly on my new nvidia 512 210.
The remote with the ipad is great i can turn on and off my pc with is.amazing.
after installing the VDPAU and alsa i can hear sound through my hdmi.
the problem is that i cant hear anything on the menu. is there any fix for that?
inspire Wrote:ok after two days of learning and installing stuff i want to say that this system is AMAZING.full HD movies run smoothly on my new nvidia 512 210.
The remote with the ipad is great i can turn on and off my pc with is.amazing.
after installing the VDPAU and alsa i can hear sound through my hdmi.
the problem is that i cant hear anything on the menu. is there any fix for that?

Depending on what skin your are using, menu sound effects are sometimes turned off if you have a movie or song playing.
i didnt download any skin at all.i am still with the default and there is no sound at all at the menu only while playing movies and plugins.
Did you create your asound.conf file with the following lines?

pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia
pcm:iec958 hdmi:NVidia
not really i really noob at this just edit the file and add this line to the end of it?
Pages: 1 2