Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] playing Bluray hanging on regular basis using MakeMKVCon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly:
Zotac IonITX F-E
LG 10X Blu-ray
4G RAM
40G Intel SSD
Dharma Live installed

For Blu-Ray I have been using the Makemkvcon script in the following thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67420
When I first set it up it seemed to work however I noticed that it would regularly hang every 5 minutes or so. Best way to describe it is as if it was being paused. Looking in the XBMC.log found the following entries around the same time:

CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

So it looked like the stream is not providing data fast enough. I looked at the documentation for makemkvcon and found you could hard code a cache level.
I then went into the default.py file and modified the lines where makemkvcon starts up the stream to specific a specific amount of cache. I first tried 2048 which would still hang at 5 minutes but would recover. I then changed it to 128 to see if maybe the opposite would work. It did, the next time was about 20 minutes in but it didn't recover instead it got stuck in a loop of the same second.

Basically does anyone have any guidance or advice on how to troubleshoot this? As a workaround I installed XP with PowerDVD and it works flawlessly (barring remote issues I am having with IMON and PowerDVD 10) but would like to keep it all on Linux
bump
Suprised no one has any advice in how to troubleshoot this.
Posted on Makemkvcon forum. Maybe I can get some good advice there.
The local moderator on the makemkv forum suggested running makemkv which I don't think would work unless there was a command line switches. I looked at some of the switches for makemkvcon and realized there is a --directio switch which initiates direct access. I tried that for 10 minutes with no hangups. Next blu-ray I will try it even further. Maybe this time...

One thing though I haven't figured out is skipping chapters does this work?
So I watched about 45 minutes of a blu-ray with the --directio switch enabled and no hanging.
Bump

The moderator on the Makemkv forum asked if I could try running the makemkvcon through SSH then open the stream manually. How would I do that through the default player? He said it would help in troubleshooting this issue as the realtime logging is better.