Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ATV2] - Idea to play DVD or Blue Ray automatically?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the ATV2 can't play DVD and BlueRay from Disc. Because the vob assistance are not
implemented.

The normal way to solve this problem is to make a MKV-File from DVD or BR-Disk and
stream this File. But my server (yaVDR-Server with Ubuntu) doesn't have a monitor and the
WAF-Factor is not so good. That's why the idea to make it automatically:

First step:
If the DVD/BR-Device detects a DVD or a BR the program Handbrake make automatically a
file, maybe a TS-File that can stream and play with the ATV2.
The questions for this step:
1. It is possible to make it automatically without any certificate?
2. It is possible to play a TS during the DVD/BR-Device is make the file? Or it is better
to make a MKV, but I think the MKV can only start to play if the file ends?!?

Second step:
The ATV2 detect the new file on the server over an upnp, smb or so on and play the file
automatically. U can switch on the DVD automatically playback in the settings but this setting
doesn't have, at the moment, any result (I think so). If it possible to make it happened, maybe
during a small add-on, then we have a good method to play DVD/BR, I think so.

Do U think that’s possible?

If the second step not possible, I think a good alternative is to save the file (from the first step)
in the movie database and play it from here manual. But for me, it's important that the movie
can play during the DVD-device isn't finish the encoding. Because if I want to make a DVD-
evening I don’t want wait till the DVD-device ends the work.

Regards
I can't see how this would be useful?

Your asking the Devs to implement a very specific feature to make you happy?

Perhaps you should start looking at the available UPnP servers till you find one that is capable of streaming media in a way that you would like it to... Start with TVersity and go from there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPn...nd_clients

It's not the job of XBMC devs to implement all these tiny little features that no one wanted until the Apple TV 2 came out... Treat the Apple TV the way Apple intended to, it hasn't got an optical drive, it hasn't got host USB port... It's a streaming device and that's all it will ever be (for the foreseeable future anyway).

If these features are important stop looking at the Apple TV 2 and look at a more capable device... Mac Mini perhaps, or a fully fledged HTPC... PS3 has Bluray capability built in... There's an array of very capable Intel ATOM/nVidia powered MiniITX motherboards available these days, build a Mini PC with a DVD or Bluray drive.