Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Won't traverse directories to find .nfo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm hoping this is just a newbie problem. I'm unable to get xbmc to find .nfo files unless I create a source pointing directly at the folder containing the media and the .nfo. I've tried various different directory structures, although as I understand it, it's the filename rather than the directory structure that is important--perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

This is my current directory structure:

TV Shows/<program name>/media files + .nfo

This is a log of what happens when I create a source for "TV Shows". This is a log of what happens when I create a source pointing directly at <program name>
When you set content on the source, do you have "use folder names for lookups" and "scan recursively" enabled?
Aenima99x Wrote:When you set content on the source, do you have "use folder names for lookups" and "scan recursively" enabled?

No. These are TV shows, so those options are not available.
keith.uk Wrote:...I've tried various different directory structures, although as I understand it, it's the filename rather than the directory structure that is important--perhaps that's where I'm going wrong

It is file name and structure that make a difference. Take a look here. It might help.
Tight_wad Wrote:It is file name and structure that make a difference. Take a look here. It might help.

Thanks for the link. That's a useful thread but I'm not sure it is going to fix my problem. I can see that directory naming is important for tvdb.com lookups, but all I'm wanting it to do is go into the directory to read the .nfo. I would have thought it would go into the directory no matter what it's called. Once in the directory it just needs a .nfo with the same name as the program file.

For me, it's finding such an .nfo when I point the source directly at the program directory, but it won't go down into the directory when I point the source at the parent.

I haven't been able to find anything more detailed than this about what the directory name has to be in order for the .nfo files to be found.
Your doing tv shows, not movies, its going to have to scrape. Why not have it do that?
A lot of my TV programs are from the BBC. The program I used to download them creates a very nice .nfo file in xbmc format. The information in those .nfo files is probably a lot better than anything a scraper will find, and it's available as soon as soon as the program is transmitted. I'd really like to find a way to use that .nfo instead of pulling something from the web.