Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New guy wants to do this right
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I just found this amazing program a few days ago and ran out to buy an Apple TV that day. Pretty slick stuff so far and I am hugely grateful for all the work you all do.

I read through some sticky threads (including the FAQ and known issues with ATV2) and have a few questions. Please feel free to simply point me to a link. I don't mind reading, I'm just not always able to find what I need.

1) How do I acquire logs of issues so that, if/when a problem does arise, I can properly report it and ask for help? I'm running Win 7/64 Ultimate, if that helps.

2) I read that this "putty" program is what I need to SSH into my box, but are all the command-line instructions the same? Forgive my ignorance, I didn't even know what "SSH" meant before I found this.

3) I read that the XBMC Remote for iPhone isn't currently working. I have an Android phone with the app installed. I don't have to assume that it doesn't work, as I've already tested and (while I can still select media from the normal "lists") the "remote control" feature seems not to work. My question really is: does the web interface work? I'm actually not home atm, or I'd just test it.

That's all I can think of atm. Once again, thank you guys so much for all of your work! I'd like to learn and grow and become a contributing member of this community if I can just get my hands on the information I need to learn! Big Grin
1) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...-log_files

2) No clue, I don't use ATVRolleyes

3) Not sure what's not working. Using mine and just put it on my Dads iPhone. Make sure the settings are correct in both phone and XBMC. May be different with the ATV, idk.

Maybe someone with ATV can answer for sure.
stigma Wrote:Hey guys, I just found this amazing program a few days ago and ran out to buy an Apple TV that day. Pretty slick stuff so far and I am hugely grateful for all the work you all do.

I read through some sticky threads (including the FAQ and known issues with ATV2) and have a few questions. Please feel free to simply point me to a link. I don't mind reading, I'm just not always able to find what I need.

1) How do I acquire logs of issues so that, if/when a problem does arise, I can properly report it and ask for help? I'm running Win 7/64 Ultimate, if that helps.

2) I read that this "putty" program is what I need to SSH into my box, but are all the command-line instructions the same? Forgive my ignorance, I didn't even know what "SSH" meant before I found this.

3) I read that the XBMC Remote for iPhone isn't currently working. I have an Android phone with the app installed. I don't have to assume that it doesn't work, as I've already tested and (while I can still select media from the normal "lists") the "remote control" feature seems not to work. My question really is: does the web interface work? I'm actually not home atm, or I'd just test it.

That's all I can think of atm. Once again, thank you guys so much for all of your work! I'd like to learn and grow and become a contributing member of this community if I can just get my hands on the information I need to learn! Big Grin

Hey man welcome aboard..I am a noobie all the still but some people on this forum helped me out a little more personally...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...highlight=

you are right you need to ssh into your device upload zip files get ad-ons for the video..Wait till you nas into your device and play video's from your computer > atv2 on the big flat screen.

its worth it brotha..
I'm not sure what it means to "nas into my device", but I've already jailbroken it and watched movies streaming from my PC. Jailbreaking was the easy part (greenpois0n was a no-brainer). I had some trouble setting up the network shares, since I've just recently started using Windows 7 and don't have lots of networking experience, but my IT guys at work helped me out with that.

I'd like to update to one of the nightly builds because I read somebody say in another post that it runs much faster. It seems a bit slow for me right now. Not that I'm complaining, it's still pretty amazing what I can do with this thing.

I'm having a party Saturday night and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I can get the web interface working so I can set my netbook on my bar and let people queue up music like a jukebox. That would be slick! Smile
stigma Wrote:I'm not sure what it means to "nas into my device", but I've already jailbroken it and watched movies streaming from my PC. Jailbreaking was the easy part (greenpois0n was a no-brainer). I had some trouble setting up the network shares, since I've just recently started using Windows 7 and don't have lots of networking experience, but my IT guys at work helped me out with that.

I'd like to update to one of the nightly builds because I read somebody say in another post that it runs much faster. It seems a bit slow for me right now. Not that I'm complaining, it's still pretty amazing what I can do with this thing.

I'm having a party Saturday night and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I can get the web interface working so I can set my netbook on my bar and let people queue up music like a jukebox. That would be slick! Smile

There is an app for the JB atv2 called firecore that will get you a browser...
people could cue up youtuve i suppose....

LIke I said people on those mac forums are real good and there is an Home theatre messageboard..Some guy on there is gona help me install a beta version of atv2 so i can get firefox on there...thats slick..

hopefully i can hook up a mouse and keyboard on there too and surf right on the 46' led.