Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Broadcom BCM70015 install/drivers ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm currently running xbmc live on a dell studio hybrid which has been running fine. I have now decided to give it a little upgrade so it can handle high bitrate 1080p a bit better.

I've ordered a Broadcom BCM70015 mini pci-e card (with a half to full size adapter) which my dell has a spare slot for (I believe the spare slot is for a broadcom blu-ray decoder originally).

Is it as simple as plugging the card in, booting up and xbmc will recognise it? Or do I have to install drivers first? This is the first time I've ever installed new hardware under linux so I don't have much knowledge about compiling drivers etc..

After doing a few searches I have found this guide on how to download/compile/install the drivers, is this all I need to do to get going in xbmc?

Thanks,
Dan
About linux....

If you type lspci to find what hardware is here,according to these paper,even they do not have the Kmod installed,they still be able to find it.

However,according to some websites,even your board has a Mini PCI-e slot,still not be able to detect,so,better study your board carefully before you attempt. I think if there is no error,you are able to use.

For a case about a display card problem,the Kernel module,the driver and the firmware are three objects,each of them is independent.

If you switch your kernel,you will have to make a new Kmod in order to use it.

I have read about the installation guide of the card

First there are three components
1.Firmware the broadcom given
2.the Kmod
3.the Driver

The 1 and 3 only do once,just like a copy and paste with some instructions. the kmod,If you are a pro,you will need to make the part 2 more than once as you use different kernels.

I believe,after two weeks,you will finally find that you will need to make a kernel for your CPU as The official binary one only provides basic instructions to boot, If you have download a package called kernel,you will know they only just use PI (166Mhz?) arch.