Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Questions on my first HTPC+XBMC build VS Pre-Built Streamers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for a Local media player to stream from my computer to the HTPC connected to my TV.

From what i've seen so far I can safely assume XBMC pretty much supports everything (ie: MKV/DTS/etc) to where I wouldn't need to transcode anything...

I saw it even supports BD-ISO now? (just not full menu support)?

So Basically my general understanding is me choosing an HTPC+XBMC over a prebuilt media streamer (ie: Popcorn Hour/A.C Ryan/Xtreamer etc HP WDTV Live) is no different other than some of the above offer Full Menu BD Support (XBMC does not).

On the plus side I get to customize my HTPC to my liking as well as enjoy XBMC vs the standard UI's (ugly and old) on those streamers....

Am I right in that? Anything else I should know I'd be missing out on choosing a HTPC+XBMC over a pre-built streamer??

How good will an HTPC+XBMC+Huh work with my Harmony Logitech Remote and will it work as fluent and flawless as one of the streamers? I don't want to have to get up and log into the OS (linux/windows) etc, this is strictly for media streaming from the sofa, no web browsing etc...
Pretty much that sums it up, with one more note : You can get full menu support for Blu Rays using TMT3/5 under windows with XBMC.
Regarding Harmony. It works fantastic with XBMC, but there is some research in it and if you want i perfect a few hours of setup.