Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Horizontal Lines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The problem I am having is not limited to XBMC it also happens when i play files in VLC. I am receiving random horizontal lines on the screen when playing back video. These lines are not constant but appear during only certain scenes. The original resolution is below 1080, more around 720 (it is only in the top half of the screen in which this occurs). So I am wondering if this is just the gfx card or some other piece of hardware.

Setup:
Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16
4 gb of DDR2
GT 240 1024mb of DDR3 (with the latest drivers)
1 TB baracuda drive

Stats when playing at 1920x1080 resolution:
Memory at a steady 19%
either CPU never goes about 21%
XBMC version 10.1
monitor running at 60hz
open GL 3.3.0

Test I have done:
I have tried two different monitors to see if the refresh rate could have something to do with it.
I am about to try my HD 5750 to see if its really the gfx card. I have enabled Vsync it has not helped. Additionally, I tried to take screenshots but was unsuccessful to actually capture the lines

I am running ubuntu 10.10 could this be a problem?

*Edit: Just tested out the HD 5750...which worked flawlessly at 90hz. Is the gtx 240 a faulty card? I bought this after seeing what people had said about it, ie: "It would play 1080 flawlessly" 'tis not the case
The GT240 shouldn't have any problems with 1080p display, you may well have a faulty card.

Have you tried changing the other variables, like a different cable or display?
I have tried two separate monitors and two separate cables, and no change. I am strongly considering returning this card for a different one tomorrow
Yeah, sounds like a borked card. You should be able to RMA it.
I would check your in true full screen and not a full screen window
Disable desktop effects, your card is fine.
Search for video tearing and xbmc - you'll find plenty of remedies, I agree there's likely nothing wrong with your hardware.

possible solutions are modifying your xorg.conf with:

Quote:Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Also make sure you have vsync enabled within xbmc options.

If neither of those work, there are other threads on this involving compiz settings, etc etc .. I'm sure you'll find something related to your exact issue with a little digging.

good luck.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Disable desktop effects, your card is fine.

yes like AERO THEME... just use the basic/normal/default theme....
Well he's using linux so Smile
x2 on disabling composite extension. That fixes 90% of tearing problems on nVidia/VDPAU.