Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: File Mode Flattening in git HEAD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A new feature in git HEAD flattens videos in a directory if "use folder names" is enabled and any of the videos are in the database already. This breaks fairly regular functionality.

Rip a few titles off of a BluRay or DVD into a correctly named directory and you have a predicament. Your goal was to rip maybe two versions of the movie, maybe a few titles that might be trailers. But with the flattening, you can no longer look at individual files in file mode once the database picks them up.

Do others agree that file mode should be kept as file mode instead of making it into library-light mode?
The trailer thing I grant you is something that might affect a few folk, assuming you rip a subset of the dvd or bluray yet decide to keep it without a menu structure. The same thing would happen if you had stacking enabled, right?

The correct way to deal with that is ensuring that those items are detected and are available in the library anyway.

Ofcourse, for the vast majority of users, this is never going to be an issue.
I will have to rip them completely outside the content structure and check them there. The only reason I care about ripping the trailer at all is to use it under XBMC's trailer support.

In all likelihood, it will mean that I won't rip anything but the main title anymore because it will be annoying to use.

I would prefer that the file view give users the ability to view each file separately. If that is not the prevailing opinion, I will adjust my usage accordingly.
Right, so the trailer isn't picked up and available from the info dialog? If so, then that case should be all good.

Additional extras should be picked up as well, but obviously we don't support that as yet. Assuming we did, would that handle your use case for the most part?

Either way, we will likely have a switch available to turn off the resolving of info (it'll be on by default though), but obviously if there's cases we can detect automatically, then that's a good thing.

(Another potential bad case is where information is incorrectly assigned - in this case there's no obvious way from just looking at the listing to know this, other than you have no idea where the movie came from) One possible solution to this is keeping a (cleaned up) version of the foldername as the main label.

Cheers,
Jonathan