Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Delete files from PC using FTP sharing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I setup my Apple TV to share my files via an FTP server on my PC (Filezilla) because, like others, I was having lots of buffering issues using SMB, but now I'm not able to delete video files via XBMC. The option to delete in XBMC is turned on, and I've enabled the user option to delete in Filezilla. Previously, when sharing via SMB, after removing a video from my library, it would give me the option to delete the file from my PC. That option no longer shows up, it simply removes the file from my library and leaves it on my PC. Anyone know how to get that option back when using FTP sharing?
Bump.
I'm not sure that option was ever there for FTP, so you can't really 'bring it back'. Specific code has been added for deletion via SMB which is why it worked before.
The team accepts patches!
keith Wrote:I'm not sure that option was ever there for FTP, so you can't really 'bring it back'. Specific code has been added for deletion via SMB which is why it worked before.

I was afraid of that. Any idea if the option is available when using UPnP?
Since it's not what upnp was designed for, I'd be really surprised. upnp has not authentication that I am aware of, so it'd be insecure to allow deletion.

Your best bet is to figure out why your SMB sucks. It's definitely not ATV2, I use SMB against my linux based NAS everyday to push 720p and 1080p over ethernet or wifi N.
keith Wrote:Your best bet is to figure out why your SMB sucks. It's definitely not ATV2, I use SMB against my linux based NAS everyday to push 720p and 1080p over ethernet or wifi N.

Thanks for the info. Fixing SMB is obviously the ideal solution, but I'm following a number of other threads where others are having the exact same issue, and using FTP or UPnP seems to be the only solution so far. Unfortunately, I'm not super proficient in the ways of networking, so I can't help much.
I too have set up my XBMC to scan FTP shares only, after reading all the different threads about HD buffering problems.

Would really like to be able to delete files from FTP shares, given the right permissions!!!
keith Wrote:I'm not sure that option was ever there for FTP, so you can't really 'bring it back'. Specific code has been added for deletion via SMB which is why it worked before.

I do not know anything about implementing FTP protocols, but is it hard to add it to XBMC ?
ben33400 Wrote:I do not know anything about implementing FTP protocols, but is it hard to add it to XBMC ?

thought you could tell me that? Smile

PS: from the first look into the code ... not easy ... ftp support is a side product of some other protocols (http, https and others). Very generic code with much much special cases. Its a typically thing of "can't be that hard to do it" - and then when you look at it "what a mess..." Wink