Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A little confused about exporting movie library and importing them onto other PCs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right now I have all of my video files inside a share on my Unraid server (the movies are not in their own indivdual folders). I've spent countless hours rescraping, renaming and changing fan art/thumbs inside xbmc. My plan is to build 2 more XBMC htpc's for the house, and I want to make sure all the art and info are transferred correctly. I did a little test run with the import feature and it looks like all the files got dumped into the folder where all my videos are stored.

My question is, how does importing from a new xbmc build work? What I don't want to happen is to have XBMC read the fanart and thumbs off the server. I'd much prefer to have XBMC read them from a location on their respective SDD hard drives to maximize speed.

So basically I'm looking for:

1. Movies are in a folder on server
2. Art, thumbs, info all stored locally on their respective XBMC/OS hard drives.
So it sounds like you exported your library as separate files. What it did was extract nfo files, fanart, and movie posters from your library into files where your media files are.

When you scrape that source on another xbmc machine, it will use all that local info found and use that to add to its library. It will use those posters and fanart but will import them to its library so the files will end up being read from the client and not the server.
When you export your library, do it as a single file, rather than separate files, then just import that single file on the other machines. Make sure all your videos are accessed via the exact same path for this to work. If you have a share mounted on your current machine, you'll have to mount it in the same way on the other machines.
If nothing changes in your network, you can just copy the userdata folder to the new computers.