Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HD sound over hdmi problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having got my one htpc up and running I have now encountered the same problem on the second.

This is a Dell Studio Hybrid 140g (intel core2 duo, 4gb, intel gmi x3100, intel hd audio 2.0) running a new install of ubuntu 10.10 and xbmc. It is connected to my av receiver via hdmi and spdif.

i get stereo sound no problem but cannot get surround sound. i have updated asla software, removed pulse audio and played with the settings in xbmc.

are there some more recent drivers i need for the graphics and audio? is there something else i need to adjust to get this working?

many thanks
M
Have changed the set-up a little. Now doing video direct to TV via VGA and sound to the receiver via spdif. Still no luck though.

Does anyone have HD sound working on XBMC/Ubuntu on a Dell Studio Hybrid?
Even removing Pulse didn't seem to work with me on Ubuntu 10. I ended up installing a minimal Ubuntu with no desktop or anything and building up from there. Be advised - if you install the "Ubuntu" desktop the damned thing brings Pulse along with it! Even if yuo purge Pulse it still may not work - didn't for me. I ended up installing Gnome desktop to get aorund this. IMO - 10.x Ubuntu and Pulse are a PITA!
Does running aplay -L list any iec958 devices?
yes - i get the following:

iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC888 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Also, i get stereo sound over optical so it is working to some extent - just not completely

M
Good, then what happens when you have your settings like so in xbmc:

Audio Output: Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost Volume Level On Downmix: Enable
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver: Enable
DTS Capable Receiver: Enable
Audio Output Device: iec958
Passthrough Output Device: iec958

or

Audio Output: Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost Volume Level On Downmix: Enable
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver: Enable
DTS Capable Receiver: Disable
Audio Output Device: iec958
Passthrough Output Device: iec958

Please test more than one video because depending on the type of audio track you are trying to play it might not work, on the Nvidia drivers you currently have installed. If your still 195 maybe an update would be wise.
I just tried those settings: in both case I have sound - but only "not-so-glorious stereo". I would like to get surround sound working.

The motherboard only has an optical output I'm afraid.

Thanks
- M
I'm am definitely using a video with full surround sound available - I get it on my other (Acer) HTPC but not on the Dell.