Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Need advice on a decent sound card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I'm tired of my realtek integrated sound card and I'm looking for a decent sound card.

I would like some features like Dynamic Range, I'm currently using ALSA DRC, but quality is not good.

I would like to be able to connect an xbox (stereo is fine) and the TV. Currently I have a surround system attached to my HTPC.

Creative X-FI series looks good, some ASUS Xonar models also seem pretty decent.

Do you have any recommendation on a good sound card working on Linux?

Thank you!
If you want Linux then you are gonna have to deal with ALSA DRC. I don't know of any soundcards in Linux that give you an alternative.

If you really just want a new card to make you feel better, the Xonars are completely compatible.
Well, that is not good news, if it doesn't going to improve the sound quality, then I will read the motherboard manual to see if I can attach an extra sound input, as it only have 3 and are in use by the surround system

I noticed creative have linux drivers, but are from 2008 and still beta:
http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html
Hirs Wrote:I noticed creative have linux drivers, but are from 2008 and still beta:
http://opensource.creative.com/soundcard.html

They are TERRIBLE. Hence why the project pretty much died from lack of support.

The issue is that in Linux (and OSX) the sound system does almost EVERYTHING. ALSA is king, unlike with Windows where the performance depends on the driver.
As a temporary solution, I have connected the xbox to the mic in, as it appears to be stereo.

And for an alternative to ALSA ladspa DRC plugin I have lowered the front and rear speakers volume, so I can heard the dialogs without my ears bleeding by the movies special effects. Sometimes they put special effects on the center speaker, and it gets loud, but the overall is better.

Shame on Creative.
Hirs Wrote:Shame on Creative.

Never has a hardware company once so highly regarded fell on hard times due to not bad hardware but software incompetence.