Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need Help LIRC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok - I've been searching the forums trying to figure out how to get my XBMC Live HD install working with my remote control. I went out and bought an IR remote from newegg and for the life of me I can't get it to work. In the feedback section on NewEgg someone posted a script of what to do, but that didn't help.

I have a Win 7 partition installed on the HTPC which the remote works perfectly with, but when in the XBMC Live partition, the red light on the IR receiver stays on and doesn't seem to blink.

Running thru a Foxconn NT-330I and XBMC works great.. Just can't get this damn remote to work.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction would be great. Thanks so much
Okay, that looks like a standard MCE remote - LIRC works WELL with that and I have about three of them. I see the script SpaceGhost put out there, pretty sure he's on these forums. What, EXACTLY, did you do to try and run that script? the way he's written it the code should be put into a file, marked executable, and run. Alternately you could probably SSH in and do the steps that aren't comments in a shell...
The AVS Gear HA-IR01SV remote you linked to is exactly the model I am using, without issue.

Have tried the receiver part in different USB ports?
@BLKMGK

Essentially I ran the script almost by hand - stupidly. So I can try taking the entirity of the info and pasting into a script file and executing it - but even by hand didn't seem to work... Should I try uninstalling Lirc first and then running his script again? See if that helps?

@dnairb

I have not tried different ports as on the same box inside of Win 7 in the same port the remote works fine.. Not sure what help moving the port would be inside of Ubuntu if it works fine under 7.. Thoughts?
CubexG Wrote:@dnairb

I have not tried different ports as on the same box inside of Win 7 in the same port the remote works fine.. Not sure what help moving the port would be inside of Ubuntu if it works fine under 7.. Thoughts?

It was just an idea; if something doesn't work one needs to look at every possible option.

You may find that running the LIRC setup again fixes the issue, particularly if XBMC Live was installed before you plugged the USB receiver in to your box:

Press <CTRL><ALT><F1> together to enter a command line environment.
Enter your user name and password.
Run:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

..which will re-run the LIRC setup.

Select the correct remote ("Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)" I believe is the correct option for this remote) and "None" for Transmitter.

You can test the remote by using the command

Code:
irw

and pressing buttons on the remote - each button press should give a readout such as:

Code:
000000037ff07bf2 00 Home mceusb

To exit irw, press <CTRL><C>. Then run:

Code:
sudo reboot

-it does what it says on the tin.
Yup - no go. I run irw and when the LIRCd starts, light comes on solid... Just tried changing the USB port... so when I hit a remote button, the red IR light comes on solid and doesn't go out.
Did you try reconfiguring LIRC?

Also, which version of XBMC Live are you using?
10.1 installed to an HD from Live USB
Well, sorry about this, but I am at a loss as to how to fix this.

With Dharma 10.1 Live XBMC this remote should work out-of-the-box.
Oh well. Thanks anyways.
i have the same remote and can't get it to work either.. the remote does work on a different unit that has an HP IR receiver.. I have another HP receiver on the way and will see if it works with it..
if the hp recv works def let me know where you picked I up
I have just found this post from some time back. It may be relevant to your issue.
Saw that one too - and that was my thought at first.. But after confirming it works under Win 7 without turning anything off - I'm guessing it's not. It only comes on after I hit a button on the remote itself - it's as if Linux sees the IR input, and just doesn't "turn off" after it gets it's first input... yet when monitoring IR input signal - there's nothing.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallLirc/Maverick

Try following the instructions about "Adding support for more remotes"

adjust the paths with the version of lirc source you end up installing:

dpkg -l | grep lirc
Pages: 1 2