Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recommend a NAS for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My NAS setup for XBMC (also associated hardware details) and approximate upload/download speed details.
Add your experiences if you want.

Netgear Stora MS2110 1TB Firmware 2.5.1
ATV2 iOS 4.2.1 XBMC Pre-10.0 Git 4b032be (Compiled Feb 19 2011)]
Windows 7 Professional 64bit SP1
Above connected through x2 3Com Office Connect Gigabit Switches

Speed - SMB share
1.4GB file (PC to NAS) 21 - 28MBs
1.4GB file (NAS to PC) 41 - 50MBs

Issues:
1/ Some large 1.4GB files buffer about every 20sec on the ATV2, but I don't believe it's a problem with the speed of the NAS.
2/ You have to save your files in the Stora's file structure which consists of two folders, FamilyLibrary & MyLibrary. Those folders cannot be renamed however you can rename or add new folders under these.
3/ USB to Stora (using the front USB socket) transfers are painfully slow at about 10MBs

I am very impressed with the Stora, it appears to be very fast and I've only had the above issues.
This is a timely thread for me as my 1TB Buffalo Linkstation just died. Tech support said I needed to update firmware but unfortunately the process bricked the device so they suggested I send it in for a replacement. Unfortunately they insisted that they would need to wipe the drive and wouldn't let me take the device apart before sending it back to pull my data.

Long story short, I pulled the drive (which is fine) and am shopping for a new NAS. I'm leaning toward a Synology Diskstation DS211j based on some positive feedback I've seen on other sites. Anyone using a Synology NAS around here?
If you're in the market and have the $$ I'd still suggest you roll your own.

Best NAS money can buy is the one you put together. Big Grin

Spend a bit up front on flexible hardware and keeping adding capacity as you need it.

----------------------------------------------------------

For the $200 USD they want for that Synology thing you should be able to put together a low-power CPU, competent mobo and el cheapo case -- you'd end up with 6 or so SATA ports versus just 2 for approx same price point. You'd also have a 'real' PC then too that could be doing other things like transcoding vids, torrents, etc.

My $0.02
+1 for building your own. The controllers on those ready-made ones suck.
mr.sparkle Wrote:+1 for building your own. The controllers on those ready-made ones suck.

unRAID......
I second the recommendation for Unraid. It basically IS the world's only made for mediaservers software. You can't beat it for flexibility.

If you want something off the shelf, either QNAP or Synology.
I will +1 for the unRAID too.
Tight_wad Wrote:I will +1 for the unRAID too.

Me too...
+1 on unraid. Can't tell you how many customer's system's i fixed with damaged raid or H/W failure. Enough to "+1" LOL. I just picked up a cheap vantec NAS enclosure and threw a 2 gig drive inside. Been working fine for a while now. Everyone's responses here and right on.
I am runing the ReadyNas Duo and just ordered a ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus.

It was either that or a QNAP 459 but I have been perfectly happy with ReadyNas. Good forums. Not so sexy UI but then again once you are setup who cares.
I'm currently running a readynas duo 500gb version and about to add another 2Tb Duo .The duo only uses 12w so not using a lot of power keeping running costs down it also has a few addons for torrents etc. Sure you can't do transcoding etc but that is what pc's are for not nas's
what about FreeNAS?
woodyearl Wrote:what about FreeNAS?

I have been running http://www.freenas.org for a few years now, works fine for me.

Give it a try. Runs on anything, you can get an old PC for pennies from Ebay and have a cheap NAS solution up and running in a matter of minutes with FreeNAS.
I also recommend FreeNas too.
I have had a FreeNas server for a while and just setup the transmission feature....Nod O man... O man...
It all comes down to what you want.
Pages: 1 2 3 4