Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Atv2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok. I searched and read for a couple hours last night, but couldn't find a definitive answer. Mostly just opinions and speculation. I know it is early in the game, but can anyone confirm whether a jailbroken ATV2 can smoothly play a 720p mkv bluray rip? These movies vary in bitrate, but the average file size is about 6GB or so. I don't mind a little stuttering for the first 10 or 20 seconds. The movie files will reside on a external hard drive connected via usb to a pc, which will be connected to the ATV2 via HARDWIRED network, cat5e. Any help is greatly appreciated. I personally use a Revo 3610, which I love, but I am trying to help out a friend with a limited budget of < $130.

Thanks!
Matt
I use this kind of setup. (usb drive>pc>Atv)There is no problem with 5-25gb 720-1080p mkv files. All play without any problem or "stuttering".
can you jailbreak and load xbmc without a mac?
Rauf27 Wrote:I use this kind of setup. (usb drive>pc>Atv)There is no problem with 5-25gb 720-1080p mkv files. All play without any problem or "stuttering".

Great! So, I can quit looking at used ATV1's with Crystal HD cards on eBay, then. Why is there so much misinformation about ATV2's inability to play high bitrate HD files smoothly? Makes it so confusing when trying to decide on a budget front end box.
the ATV2 build is very new, some of the coding is not mature, some issues arise from the box itself or jailbreaking and are not an issue with XBMC. Some buffering troubles are often associated with the slow A4 chip but might actually be a result of a poorly configured network or a crappy router.

It's just growing pains of a new platform thats all, but if you wanna know what's in store and what problems you can address yourself, you might want to read through the bug submission/fixes page in the ios section of the forum.
Alright. Here we go. I stopped at Fry's Electronics on the way home, and picked up a ATV2 and WD Elements 2TB External usb 2.0 hard drive for my buddy.

Quote:I use this kind of setup. (usb drive>pc>Atv)There is no problem with 5-25gb 720-1080p mkv files. All play without any problem or "stuttering".

Rauf27, this WD hard drive comes pre-formatted NTFS. Will this work? I'm gonna move a couple 720p BRRip mkv files over to it, read up on jailbraking this ATV, and have some fun tonight. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Don't see any problem with NTFS. Go ahead and try.
Good luck.