Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can XBMC read movie xml files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wanna know if it's possible for xbmc to detect a xml file in a movie folder and read from it? Can seem to find anything about it.

The xml file will contain infomation/actions on how to play a selected movie.

Is this possible?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...g_XML_data

They are XML, but they use the extension .nfo.

But the answer is certainly "yes"-- the metadata that xbmc scrapes itself can even be exported under settings->video... choose "separate" files, and it will put all of the metadata in the video directory, which can then be edited and rescraped by refreshing the information for the item you edited. Just note, when rescraping, it will say something like "local metadata found, refresh from the internet?" and obviously, you will say "no"
branlr Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Imp...g_XML_data

They are XML, but they use the extension .nfo.

But the answer is certainly "yes"-- the metadata that xbmc scrapes itself can even be exported under settings->video... choose "separate" files, and it will put all of the metadata in the video directory, which can then be edited and rescraped by refreshing the information for the item you edited. Just note, when rescraping, it will say something like "local metadata found, refresh from the internet?" and obviously, you will say "no"

So, if you for instance have a movie splittet into 2 or 3 parts (dvd1+dvd2) - I got a long version of Godfather which couldn't fit onto 1 dvd. Could I edit the .nfo file and add something like:
Code:
<playback>
  <playitem>dvd1.iso</playitem>
    file1=/path_to_movie1.iso
  <length>02:45:00</length>

<playitem>dvd2.iso</playitem>
    file2=/path_to_movie2.iso
  <length>00:59:00</length>
</playback>

Would XBMC find out how to join them?

Thanks again.
doestergaard Wrote:So, if you for instance have a movie splittet into 2 or 3 parts (dvd1+dvd2) - I got a long version of Godfather which couldn't fit onto 1 dvd. Could I edit the .nfo file and add something like:
Code:
<playback>
  <playitem>dvd1.iso</playitem>
    file1=/path_to_movie1.iso
  <length>02:45:00</length>

<playitem>dvd2.iso</playitem>
    file2=/path_to_movie2.iso
  <length>00:59:00</length>
</playback>

Would XBMC find out how to join them?

Thanks again.

I'm not sure, to be honest--would require some searching/experimenting to figure out.

However, from personal experience, my advice would be to say that, if at all possible, just forget unconventional files. I try to have all of my content as single AVIs or, better yet, MKV's.

The more uniformity in your media, the better off you are IMO.

But, I understand that's not always possible. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.
XBMC will in fact stack your media, but it'll do that outside of having to have an XML nfo file.

Just name them appropriately, eg <moviename> - disk1.iso and turn on stacking.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:XBMC will in fact stack your media, but it'll do that outside of having to have an XML nfo file.

Just name them appropriately, eg <moviename> - disk1.iso and turn on stacking.

Cheers,
Jonathan

One noob-question, where do you turn on file stacking in Dharma? Laugh

Thanks again.
lhs menu.
When you are using file stacking, say with "ABC-Part01.mp4" and "ABC-Part2.mp4" both in the folder "ABC", do you have one NFO file named "ABC" or separate NFO's for each part? Or just one NFO for "ABC-Part01"?