Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel core i3-2105 (HD 3000) = no need for dedicated GPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been reading a bit on the new core i3-2105 with HD 3000 chip. From what I understand, this processor should be able to handle decoding of any video format (h.264, etc) without any issues. Does anyone think I will still need to get a dedicated GPU?
iirc this only works on Windows.
I hope not since I just got an i5 2400S with the same intentions. It should do just fine Smile The 2400S only has the HD2000 chip and from what I've seen it looks ok.

.håkan
What I am 100% unclear about is this potential issue with 23.976 frequency. From what I understand, Sandy Bridge cannot out at 23.976. Instead it outputs at 24 so at some point there will have to be an additional frame in order to keep in sync? And there is also some issue with the sound not staying in sync? I am not an AV expert at all so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I always think so. A Nvidia or AMD GPU has better color correction, better 24p support, and post-processing that will result in an image better than CPU decoding can provide.

With that said, technically there is no need for a GPU if you only care about the basics. A i3 by itself can play anything.