Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What is OpenELEC?

Open Embedded Linux Entertainment Center, or OpenELEC for short, is a small Linux distribution built from scratch as a platform to turn your computer into a complete XBMC media center. OpenELEC is designed to make your system boot as fast as possible and the install is so easy that anyone can turn a blank PC into a media machine in less than 15 minutes.

More info: http://www.openelec.tv/

Download: http://www.openelec.tv/get-openelec

Installation: http://www.openelec.tv/find-help/documen...stallation

Daily Eden builds:
http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-eden/
Is there reason for this thread?
OpenELEC boots super fast off usb using it for my HTPC now. Great work OpenELEC
vdrfan Wrote:Is there reason for this thread?

My thoughts exactly. I don't see the point of OpenELEC, anyone can bootstrap a distro, cut the fat, init-> X -> XBMC ... done (It'll probably be faster too)

liq456 Wrote:OpenELEC boots super fast off usb using it for my HTPC now. Great work OpenELEC

OpenELEC sounded great when I first read about it but unfortunately I need a fully featured OS with decent package management / support Oo
OpenELEC is great but i don't see a reason for this thread as there are already other OpenELEC threads.. that said, please post in the appropriate threads instead of just creating a new one.
vdrfan Wrote:OpenELEC is great but i don't see a reason for this thread as there are already other OpenELEC threads.. that said, please post in the appropriate threads instead of just creating a new one.

This is the Linux thread right?
I tested OpenElec and I am surprised. It's faster than XBMC Live on my Zotac Box, and much smaller (just 90mb). Even menu sounds are working out of the box.
I tryed last week, but I can't install it on dual boot (OpenElec + Win7) on same machine.
Subliminal Aura Wrote:My thoughts exactly. I don't see the point of OpenELEC, anyone can bootstrap a distro, cut the fat, init-> X -> XBMC ... done (It'll probably be faster too)

OpenELEC sounded great when I first read about it but unfortunately I need a fully featured OS with decent package management / support Oo

It's a LOT more than that. Openelec is tiny, fast, STABLE, has automatic updating to the OS and XBMC built in and trivially easy yet you can still much about with addons, tweak all the normal settings etc etc. The driver support is very solid - way, way better than Live (even on now common ION hardware from ASRcok and Shuttle Live Dharma can have significant issues) and way easier/faster to install. It's really everything Live should be, to be honest.

(Just a fan, and I am sure Live makes some sense but to be honest - for an appliance type install, Openelec FTW and for a fuller install the Ubuntu + Xbmc makes the most sense to me!).

I've moved 4 separate installations from Live to Openelec and they are ALL very happy with the change....
vdrfan Wrote:Is there reason for this thread?

Because it's Linux running XBMC. Runs great on the ATV. I have no idea why the ATV running linux-xbmc is in this section as it has very specific issues that make a case for it being in the Mac section. However, if the ATV distribution is discussed here then surely that is where openelec should be discussed. As it is, is was hard enough finding openelec threads here as they appear unclassified.

I would far prefer the ATV be moved back and openelec on it moved backa as well. Since that's not happening, and openelec runs on all kinds of hardware ( really well by the way) I do hope it stays here.

I do realize that it's not up to me but it's nice to be on record I suppose.

philip
Think the question was more to point out that this thread (by the author of OpenELEC.tv) exists http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61340

EDIT: noticed vdrfan posted that already. I vote on close or merge it into the other thread, I see little reason for this thread as well Smile
topfs2 Wrote:Think the question was more to point out that this thread (by the author of OpenELEC.tv) exists http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61340

EDIT: noticed vdrfan posted that already. I vote on close or merge it into the other thread, I see little reason for this thread as well Smile

If you choose to close this thread, then please move the other thread to the Linux sub-forum, or even better: make a new sticky one.

I think OpenElec ist A "must try" if you like running XBMC on a dedicated linux machine.
topfs2 Wrote:I vote on close or merge it into the other thread, I see little reason for this thread as well Smile

I vote on merge so I can ask Bossanova808 in detail how a small team like openELEC can produce better stable kernels then the rest of the world Wink
Subliminal Aura Wrote:I vote on merge so I can ask Bossanova808 in detail how a small team like openELEC can produce better stable kernels then the rest of the world Wink

lol Laugh

Let's be fair....OpenElec is exectly how XBMC Live should look like.
It boots faster, It does play 1080p without stutter on ION platforms and sound works out of the box.
athloni Wrote:Let's be fair....OpenElec is exectly how XBMC Live should look like.

Now that I do agree with.
Subliminal Aura Wrote:I vote on merge so I can ask Bossanova808 in detail how a small team like openELEC can produce better stable kernels then the rest of the world Wink

Hah - who knows. But it IS more stable. I've been playing pretty extensively since just before 9.11 came out, with ION hardware (ASRock ION 330 and Shuttle XS35GT) and a Win7 laptop (Nvidia chipset there as well) - with pretty much every version from Live, to Freak, to Openelec. God knows why, but Openelec is definitely, from a simply 'it works' perspective - way more stable than the others. Just simply less glitches, and works all the time. My wife has noticed, it's not a subtle thing - it just works, no more mucking about. Part of it is obviously Dharma improvements, but from various Live/Freak installs, that is clearly not enough. Openelec is sweet. I will forgive them the slight two day debacle with NFS mounts not working, other than that...simply awesome.

I vaguely recall reading Openelec was going to become XBMC Appliance and 'official' - let's hope so...not that it matters as long as it is available and as awesomely good as it is now.

Honestly I think it's more stable because all the crap is removed. There's basically just a kernel plus the absolute bare minimum of other stuff to support XBMC. So all the excess stuff in normal Ubuntu is gone and somehow that makes it work. Ask sruae - he's the brains behind it Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4