Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Anyway to automatically go to 'Now Playing' when playing music?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says - is there any way to cause XBMC to go straight to the Now Playing visualisation when music is played? So it behaves more like video, I guess.

Given I always want to go there eventually it would be handy if it just happened automatically but I can't see a setting or easy tweak for this.

Any help much appreciated!
Set your screensaver to go to the vis is your only option.

Having it switch to vis immediately would be a major pain in the arse for many folk.
So no chance of even the option then Wink

I just find it unintuitive that hitting play doesn't do anything but get the music playing in the background - there's no real feedback that anything has happened so with a quiet song intro or whatever, it can leave you guessing as to whether anything HAS happened.

I guess that makes for easy queueing etc, but in general I just find the schism between the way music works (defaults to background) vs video works (defaults to foreground obviously) is a bit inconsistent....but it may be the sort of inconsistency that makes sense.

But even if the default is jsut to queue/play music in the background, some feedback might be useful. Even for a non XBMC beginner, it's not really that obvious how to get to the playlist to see what has happened, or how to get to the vis since the 'now playing' screen isn't really used much in other contexts as far as I can see. But that's probably more to do with how I use it than anything else.

Thanks for answering!
Doesn't the music title turn yellow to indicate that it's playing?

JR
Looking at it I suppose it does go yellow. I guess that is something but I still think some switch to the current playlist (even if it is just for a second or two then drop back to where you were)..would be handy and better feedback. Most audio players (think iPod, squeezebox, Sonos etc) do something like this...either they go to the playlist completely, or they fairly explicitly say 'queueing blah bla'.

It's not a big deal but it would bring it more in line with other solutions and I do think the audio area of XBMC is a little weak and not immediately intuitive for new users...e.g. even if you add a source and say it's music, you still have to manually go into the settings blade (in Confluence) and engage library mode - so most people I have seen (users, not techiws) have just never found this! And if they do find it, then they get confused between OK/Select and Play (one of which goes into an album, the other plays it - it seems logical and yet invariably when people try to play an album I see them go into the album instead). At least if there was some real visual indication of what they'd done they might find it easier to follow...

Just my thoughts, no biggie!