Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC 10.1 Takes over 1 Minute to Launch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All.

I've been a user of XBMC for only a few weeks, but so far I love it. I have a HTPC in the bed room and one in the living room attached to a 52" LCD TV and a receiver, and I LOVE IT!!!!

We like our HTPCs so much, I just bought an OCZ Agility 2 60GB SSD to speed up the HTPC in the living room. If you don't have an SSD, I highly recommend one (maybe), they definitely speed up your system!

Now for my problem,

I'm running XBMC 10.1 on a fresh install of Win7 Home Premium x64 and I'm having the WEIRDEST thing happen. After I double click on the XBMC icon to launch the program, it will take OVER a minute to launch (1 min, 3 sec according to my watch). After it launches, it runs just fine - as a matter of fact, it runs great, nice and fast.

I don't have a shortcut in my startup menu (I cant do that, because we use the HTPC for skyping too) and I've gone so far as to wait 5 minutes after booting to make sure all the services are running and I still have the problem.

I've searched the forum and couldn't find any posts related to my issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

John
Well, after much trial and error, I found the problem was related to my DVD drive.

I found when I unplugged my DVD drive, XBMC started right up!

I also found, if I had a DVD in the drive, XBMC started right up!

The hang up, was with an empty DVD drive. XBMC (and from what I found out, Windows too) didn't know what to do with the empty drive for over a minute.

Before I did the fresh install on the SSD, I had it running fine, but I was using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) v9.6.0.1014 because I had read OCZ's SSD toolbox software (to update the firmware) was not compatible with the latest version of RST and I wanted to update the firmware before building the system.

So, when I went to build the system, I naturally installed the latest version of Intel's RST. Well, I remembered that I didn't have this problem with the old version of RST, so I installed the old version (v9.6.0.1014) and everything is working again!

So, in short - if you are using an Intel SATA controller, DO NOT USE THE LATEST VERSION OF RST - WHICH IS 10.​1.​0.​1008 !!!!!! IT IS NOT STABLE!!

I hope this helps someone else out there!

John