Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Computer locks up randomly while playing videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I'm using XBMC on Ubuntu 10.10 with latest updates installed, on a Athlon 64 X2 5000 and AMD 780G (HD3200), connected to a 46" Sony Bravia Full HD 120hz thru HDMI.

As title says, I'm suffering with a complete lockup randomly on my computer while playing any video on XBMC.
There's no relation with the movie' resolution, as many lockups have been experienced on 1080p, 720p locally and even SD movies on Youtube.

99% is after some video reproduction (Like, start one video, watch at least 1 second, stop, watch another movie. If I start XBMC and play one movie, it will work OK). Randomly, because sometimes it doesn't happen the whole day, but might happen during the exhibition of the second movie.
Computer locks up completely. There's no answer to any keystroke, nor combination. The last ~1 second bit of audio keeps repeating and image is frozen (like paused). Hardware failure might be discarded since this hardware is pretty new (6 months, maximum) and has been working a-OK since then, with Windows.

I watch movies with VAAPI acceleration. CPU usage is low and image is smooth with vSync, even with 120Hz image correction enabled. I've retired my blu-ray player since then.
I've followed this link to enable VAAPI on XBMC. Don't know if I'm missing something.
I use ALSA for audio output thru HDMI.

Hope there's any free resolution out there =)

Thank you
Just for the info:
I've uninstalled the Pulseaudio and it didn't lock up since then. Been running OK since the post above. Will keep it running and maybe next-tomorrow I'll post back here with the results.

--------------
Updt 04-04
23:58 (GMT -3)
Two days straight. Few Full HD movies and youtube movies watched. No lockup, only one sudden XBMC crash, no big deal.

---
Updt 04-07
That was it. Removing Pulseaudio fixed the lockups, but now I have no sound outside XBMC. That'll be a headache for the Ubuntu forums, not for you guys.