Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] Remote control options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey - so got xbmc up and running on my new htpc and so far so good!

However I haven't thought about a remote control yet (initially I thought I would make do with a wiimote, but I dont think this is up to the job). Therefore I am thinking of buying a PS3 remote and am looking for opinions.

From what I can gather there are two apps that can be used to get this to work - the closed source ps3 app (developed my cheetah05?) and eventghost (a more general purpose app). - are there any advantages of one over the other?
I cant tell for certain if the power issues have been resolved on ether - what are standard battery times? (not too bothered as I have loads of rechargables about, unless I need to replace every day or something crazy!)

If I use eventghost will it work with other devices at the same time (i.e. a wiimote for zsnes for example)

Also - It seems there are enough buttons for this to work as a reasonable remote - will I run into any issues if I get one?

Finally - what do most people do for text entry? I doubt I would need it much - I have a wireles keyboard handy for such events, but dont want to have to dig it out each time.

Thanks!
km

ps - as nice as a harmony remote sounds - I don't think I want to pay that much €€. Also I like the idea of bluetooth as I can use it for my laptop in the bedroom etc. I also don't need to control other IR devices.
You can use an MCE remote with XBMC and there are heaps of posts here in the forums as to how to get it working. For the most part it works out of the box. Start with this one http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...MCE+remote

For text input - for text input most (all?) bring up an onscreen keyboard that you can navigate with your remote. Its a bit clunky doing that so you wouldn't want to have to enter much text. I use a logitech diNovo Mini on the odd occassion I need to enter text.
rocketpants Wrote:You can use an MCE remote with XBMC and there are heaps of posts here in the forums as to how to get it working. For the most part it works out of the box. Start with this one http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...MCE+remote

For text input - for text input most (all?) bring up an onscreen keyboard that you can navigate with your remote. Its a bit clunky doing that so you wouldn't want to have to enter much text. I use a logitech diNovo Mini on the odd occassion I need to enter text.

Thanks for the info- but I was looking for info about the ps3 remote (unless it really is a bad idea to use it) and how well it works/ and if a onscreen keyboard can be used with that.

Cheers,
km
sorry, no experience with that remote. I thought it was just an option you were considering.
I guess it is - but I am leaning toward it unless there is a solid reason not to (its a major PITA/ battery life etc). Thanks for the MCE info - looks straightforward enough if I go down that route.