Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First HTPC - Could you tell me what you think please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I am building a HTPC for a friend for the first time. I have put together a spec and would really appreiciate your opinions on the combination of parts.

Requirements are as follows:
  • As quiet as possible
  • Ability to watch and record HD simultaneously
  • Make use of external storage and blue-ray drive
  • Fairly future-proof

My friend has chosen his preferred case, and the TV-tuner card seems to be practically the only option when it comes to dual tuner HD cards. The spec I have proposed is as follows:

S10v case
BlackGold BGT3620 Tv Card

Asus P8H67-M R3.0 Motherboard
Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz Processor
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Corsair 120GB Force SSD
Antec 380W EarthWatts Green Power Supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with a probable dual-boot with XBMC

Sandybridge should do the trick performance-wise, and USB-3 should help file transfer speeds from external drives. The stock CPU fan should be fine in Auto-mode, the PSU is quiet, and I can under-volt the case fans if necessary but i cant imagine it will run very hot anyway.

All together it is going to cost around £1100 (expensive case!).

What are your thoughts? Have i missed anything that would be a better fit? Many thanks.
Windows 7 x64 requires a 30GB SSD.... minimum,,,,
120GB SSD is too much and too pricey....
Corsair Force 40GB CSSD-F40GB2 (Incl. VAT: £76.24 + Free Delivery) would be perfect!

and for MultiTasking like your friend plans to do,
i'd settle for nothing else but the quad cpu ATHLON X4 3.0GHz (Incl. VAT: £72.01 + Free Delivery)!!

and since it requires a new motherboard,
get the same one as me, its flawless,
Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 (£46.62 + Free Delivery)!!

PSU is very good
Antec EarthWatts 380W (Incl. VAT: £36.24 + £1.49 Delivery)!!

this ram kit would be great!
Kingston HyperX (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 CL7 240pin (Incl. VAT: £37.30 + Free Delivery)

how about these 2 cases?
1- http://ow.ly/1sndaD
2- http://ow.ly/1sndax

and the graphic card?
Also the hauppauge 2250 is a dual tuner card and I have one and love the quality.
just came cross the thread, couple weeks late.

the individual parts look GREAT , can you please post if you went along with them and how they all fit together?