Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What's the deal with binding function keys?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to bind my function keys in keyboard.xml, but nothing happens. I know that the command works, since replacing <VK_F1> with i.e. <y> works fine.

I also noted that F8 and F9 (or is it F9 and F10) at default controls volume, but they have no mention in keyboard.xml. Huh

Am I missing something obvious? I've successfully bound other "VK" keys..
<f1>
Thanks, silly me used the key code instead of the name.
adytum Wrote:I also noted that F8 and F9 (or is it F9 and F10) at default controls volume, but they have no mention in keyboard.xml. Huh

The system keyboard.xml contains:

<f10>VolumeUp</f10>
<f9>VolumeDown</f9>
<f8>Mute</f8>

These are the standard Windows Media Center keyboard shortcuts and are included because some of the cheaper MCE remotes send these keys.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The system keyboard.xml contains:

<f10>VolumeUp</f10>
<f9>VolumeDown</f9>
<f8>Mute</f8>

These are the standard Windows Media Center keyboard shortcuts and are included because some of the cheaper MCE remotes send these keys.

JR

Just one more thing: When you say system keyboard.xml, is this an additional xml file apart from the one in system/keymaps? My keyboard.xml has none of the binds you listed, but they are apparently still bound the way you posted, and I get weird behaviour trying to bind them in the only keyboard.xml I know of (I have nothing in appdata, only in program files). Huh
Assuming you're using Windows, when you install XBMC it creates a keyboard.xml in C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps, and this has all the Windows Media Center key mappings like ctrl-shift-P for Play and the volume keys. The mappings I posted above were copied and pasted from the system keyboard.xml.

If you want to change mappings you should *not* change the system keyboard.xml. Instead create a new keyboard.xml in %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps. This will add to and override mappings in the system keyboard.xml.

If you want to play with the mappings the ShowKey and KeyMapEdit applets from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ might come in handy.

JR
Thanks a lot, and especially for those tools, wish I knew about them earlier!