Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Apple TV 2 access to Synology Diskstation 110J
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I bought Apple TV 2 a few days ago and installed XBMC yesterday... it's looking great with the various skins and the features are really great! Smile

The only problem is, that I cannot connect my Synology Disk Station to XBMC... the Disk Station (DS) is my NAS drive in the wireless network where I have all my media files (images, videos, music)...

I tried to add a new source for music and selected smb as protocol... I can see the DS an the folders - the problem is, that the folders have no content! :confused2:
I cannot see any music (mp3) or images (jpg) at all! I don't now what the problem is, but without access to my DS, XBMC is not very useful for me...

The main reason for installing XBMC was, that wanted to access my media-files without starting my PC (apple tv can normally access the iTunes media files only if a PC or MAC with iTunes is running somewhere in the network), but it looks like XBMC is not the right choice for me... Sad

Curiously I can access the DS from my Blu-Ray Player (with integrated Wlan) via DNLA without any problems... I think it's a problem with apple-tv and not with XBMC, but I hope that somebody has experience with Synology products and AppleTV with XBMC and can help me...
I recall seeing a similar post hereabouts just the other day, and it was because a username and password was needed.

Assuming you know the NAS netwok name and the share name, I find the best strategy is to click the Add Source/Browse button, choose Add network location (you need to scroll the list down to see this) and feed in the SMB details including the username and password if required.

JR
With Synology NAS you got to enable the guest account to bypass username/password requests, by default it is not enabled.

This is how to do it and repeat for all folders you add into XBMC. You shouldn't have any problems accessing the media over SMB after that.

Quote:* Log in to Synology Disk Station Manager.
* Go to Control Panel->User.
* Select guest account and click on edit.
* Deselect the box that says "disable this account" & click ok.
* Now go to Control Panel->Shared Folder.
* Select target folder (e.g video) and click on "Privileges Setup".
* Local Users should be selected
* For the guest user account tick the boxes for read/write privileges.
If you prefer not to allow guest accounts, another strategy is to create a passwords.xml file and ssh it into your /var/mobile/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/ folder.

Code:
<passwords>
   <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://NAS_IP/DirectoryName</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://username:password@NAS_IP/DirectoryName/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>
Starstream Wrote:With Synology NAS you got to enable the guest account to bypass username/password requests, by default it is not enabled.

This is how to do it and repeat for all folders you add into XBMC. You shouldn't have any problems accessing the media over SMB after that.

Ok thank you! I'll try later and keep you updated... Wink

Yesterday I got access to my files via FTP... that's working from AppleTV2 and XBMC... the problem is, that XBMC is really slow... images need a lot of time to be correctly previewed (thumbnails) and music (MP3's with corrent ID3 Tags and Covers) is really really slow... I had problems to switch from one track to another... it needs a long time and is not usable this way... Sad

I don't know if the FTP connection causes the above performance-problems and I will try SMB once more with your instructions...
If SMB is also slow XBMC is not usable for me on ATV2... Sad