Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB browsing slow if content scraper is TVDB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been running around in circles trying to isolate this issue, and I've finally narrowed down the circumstances, but still not found a solution.

The problem:

- Browsing Samba directories with XBMC from my NAS (Synology 211j) is EXTREMELY slow IF the directory scraper is set to TV shows, and it is using TVDB as the scraper.
Opening a directory containing 100 folders can take 3 or 4 minutes.

- Changing to no scraper (or to Music or Movies), solves the problem...browsing becomes instant again.

Setup

Source is a Synology 211j NAS with 6TB, SMB shares.
XBMC clients are XBMC nightly builds after March 18, 2011:
- 3 Macs (OSX 10.6.7)
- 1 PC (Windows 7, all updates)
- 3 ATV 2G (AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154)

All hardwired ethernet, except 1 ATV, which is wireless. No difference in symptom on that.

They all play content perfectly, and scraping is working perfectly (even TV scraping). It doesn't matter whether I use a shared SQL database or use local databases, the problem exists either way. Browsing via the Library is perfect also. It's only browsing Files that is slow, but it's really really painfully slow.

I can browse the shares directly on any computer perfectly. File transfer speeds are excellent.

If I use the March 18, 2011 build or earlier, browsing in XBMC is speedy again.
Going back to the release build also solves the problem, but neither is my preferred solution, since I'd really like to use a shared MySQL database. (I've got that working beautifully with all machines).
Since the problem has been present for nearly a month of nightlies, I'm afraid it has gone unnoticed.

It appears it's a problem specific to the TVDB scraper, but I'm not sure where to report that.

Any suggestions either to solve or properly report the issue would be appreciated.