Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC crashes when trying to play video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! I've been using XBMC a while and it has worked perfectly but a few days ago it just started crashing when I tried to play a movie. I tried to edit settings and finally removed XBMC AND it's settings and reinstalled it, but it didn't help. It just freezes instantly when I press 'play'. I've also tried a different skin. I'm running OSX 10.6.2 (hackintosh).

edit. here is my xbmc.log:

http://pastebin.com/ermvQt0F

Thanks a lot!

My movies are mostly 720p x264 .mkv, but I also have others video types but I'm not sure about their codecs. None of them are working anyway
Did you even LOOK at the xbmc.log, it's barfing trying to open some dat/rar file.
davilla Wrote:Did you even LOOK at the xbmc.log, it's barfing trying to open some dat/rar file.

Yes, I looked, and I tried to play the .mkv file that is COMPLETED. I repeated this several times to make sure. I don't know why it mentions the .dat file because I did not click it. Same .mkv file opens on VLC normally. I actually deleted the .dat file that was in the same folder but it doesn't change anything, here's the log file after deleting it:

http://pastebin.com/1TdQ82DB

The .zip file looks like something I've downloaded some time ago from a torrent site, but I just deleted it and have no idea what it has to do with XBMC.
ERROR: failed to extract file: fo-ptg9.zip

make it go away.
davilla Wrote:ERROR: failed to extract file: fo-ptg9.zip

make it go away.

Yeah I figured out that the problem is with that .zip file, but I have no idea why XBMC would try to extract this .zip file? I have deleted it from my hard disk and I have reinstalled XBMC many times.

How do I make it go away?

Thanks!
"Show information" on movie ALSO crashes XBMC. Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/Rt7Me1X3

Any ideas?

Why would XBMC want to extract some .zip? How can I make it stop that? Reinstalling XBMC doesn't help.
if the crashing has to do with the zip file, unzip it and put it in a shared folder trying to make the zip work is akin to trying to put a square peg in a round hole.
if your zip files for any given media files are coming with par files, repair using quickpar.
I don't have this file. I found 3 similar files (fo-ptg9a.zip, fo-ptg9b.zip and fo-ptg9c.zip) but I deleted them (it didn't help either). They were located on my movie folder by accident. I don't have any idea how they could produce this problem but it seems to be the case because of this error log and the timing.

I don't have any media as .zip files.
googled the name of one of the files, it looks like its from a torrent download, possibly try cleaning that up. A complete system virus scan cant hurt either.
I deleted all files related, but I actually never even installed the downloaded torrent. Also, that program is for Windows only and though I have Windows installed on Parallels (virtual machine), I'm running XBMC and nearly everything else on OSX. I mean, my OSX shojldn't be infected by a possible Windows virus, right? I will run a full check when I get home anyway, thanks!

Any ideas why XBMC even wants to extract some .zip file that once may have existed in my movie folder? How do I make it stop that? I have reinstalled XBMC on different hard drives, removed all files related to XBMC before that to be sure there are no bad settings left behind, but the problem has stayed. I have also tried to play movies from different locations with no luck.

Thanks
Is there any devs or anyone else who knows how I can fix this? I love using XBMC but I don't want to reinstall OSX in order to get XBMC working again..
(2011-04-09, 20:54)davilla Wrote: [ -> ]ERROR: failed to extract file: fo-ptg9.zip

Look for that file in around your database folder and delete it and any copies of it.