Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [WINDOWS] Library scan ok but can't play videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just starting using XBMC in my home theater, and it's a very nifty application. However, there are two pieces of basic functionality that are not working for me :

1. In Video - Files mode, in the context menu, Movie Information does nothing. (It just returns back to the list)

2. I am able to scan my video source with the themoviedb.org scraper. This loads thumbnails nicely in the Files mode. However, in Library mode, selecting anything gives an error "This file is no longer available. Would you like to remove it from the library"?

I've tried deleting the mymovies.db and rebuilding, and doing a Clean Database. Nothing seems to fix either of these two issues. I created a debug log, but it looked pretty ordinary, no errors in the log that I saw.

My videos are set up all in a single folder.

Any suggestions?
Any chance you're scanning a UPnP source? Anyway, a debug log is needed even though you think there's no information to gather from.
Thanks for responding. I uploaded a log here: http://pastebin.com/wum9c3Uc

I am streaming via SMB. (I have the capability to stream via uPnP, but my results were better with SMB) Here's the steps I took:

1. created a new SMB shared folder \\diskstation\xbmc
2. copied a single .m4v into it [Tron Legacy.m4v]
3. fresh install of XBMC 10.1
4. add video source \\diskstation\xbmc
5. scan for updates
6. go to Library mode
7. select Year
8. select 2010
9. select Tron Legacy.m4v. Generic captured thumbnail is present, not the one that was downloaded
10. get error that the file could not be located.
11. Alt-F4 to exit
I can't spot any scan or play action in that log. You're sure you pastebin'd the right one?
Yes, I believe that was the right one.
In the interest of brevity, I didn't post the results of the scan, just the attempt to play a video.

Here's another log: http://pastebin.com/WaEb8DLG that has the whole sequence.

This is what I did to generate it:

1. Remove previous video source
2. Delete previous xbmc.log and MyVideos*.db
3. Start xbmc
4. Add video source. Set scraper, click automated scan. xbmc gets thumbnails.
5. Navigate to the video in Files mode. Observe thumbnail & fanart downloaded ok. Play it for a couple of seconds.
6. Switch to Library mode.
7. Click Title, select video, receive error.
I just added a movie to one of my shares, added that share to my movie sources and scanned it into the library. Then I went to the library and started the movie without any problems.
Update: I did the same steps on another PC, and everything seemed to work ok. So there is something about the original PC's configuration that is messing up.

I did a fresh install and used all default settings. Working PC is Win 7 Ultimate, non-working PC is Win 7 Home Premium.

I wonder if I can copy the xbmc folder from the working PC to the non-working PC and see if that changes anything.
Does the machine you're having trouble with have proper access permissions to that share? Browse to the share within windows and ensure you can write to the directory.
Update: I copied the XBMC folder from the working PC to the nonworking PC, and everything started working again. This is somewhat inconvenient, but it is easier to manage my collection on my desktop PC and copy over to the HTPC, than to work on a computer in a dark room and a projector screen.

If I figure out what went wrong, I'll update this thread for anyone who finds this thread later.
when your media does not "play" does it come back at you with an error (item not in library) or something along those lines? If it is a shares issue you may want to check out the video I have in my signature, to make sure you are on a home network as opposed to a business network. One final thing pretty much anything related to windows live mucks up the shares if you have anything pertaining to win live remove it and kick the tires, hope this helps